'64 Schwinn Stingray Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Just picked up this '64 Schwinn Stingray Deluxe (see pics below). No dings or dents on the fenders, one minor wave in the front fork where it got bent and was straightened, alot of rust on the chrome, but the frame and paint are in good shape and original. Original Persons Solo Polo Banana seat needs to be recovered/relabeled. Any idea what it's worth "as is"? Any thoughts as to the best way to procede with restoration, including "does" and "don'ts". All input is appreciated!

540.jpg

537.jpg

549.jpg

Well as far as restoring goes I'd dis assemble it and give the chrome an Oxalic acid bath. Use a bit of Nu Finish on the paint to bring it back to life, then re-assemble.

Major restoration tip...straighten the handle bars.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, I crack myself UP. I tried to resist but I just could not.
Nice bike, I wish my little muscle bike was in that good condition.

correct me if i am wrong but isnt that the wrong seat for that bike? i think the deluxe would have used the same persons seat as the standard ray. like mentioned before be super careful on the chain guard if it is dry DONT WIPE IT or you will take the lettering off in one shot. value is tough the economy is down but there are always collectors out there looking for early rays and that is a great color. i see resto and nice og early ones in the 1k range but not sure since the economy slid. also this one as is wont bring that i would say in the 2 to 5 hundred range.

An early Deluxe like that should have that seat. It's not "Schwinn" tagged yet in '64. In '65 they get the "bucket" saddle banana seats... early ones get the Solo Polo flat topped seats, and I do think it's correct being a "deep tufted" variety.

Either way, the seat is pretty badly worn out. It could be a rider kind of like it is, or recovered with a kit. There are folks selling material to redo these pretty nicely. The Polo seat can be easier than a banana seat to recover because of the shape, but still you have to deal with rivets and old rusty pans.

The coppertone paint looks good enough to leave alone. Wax it with some kind of automotive cleaner/wax and see how it looks. For now, go around that chainguard silkscreen. If it's just disappearing from even casual contact, it can go out for a re-screening. A decal is ok too, cheaper but less desirable for a restored bike. Talk to Pete at Hyper-Formance for advice on how to proceed. 480-961-0643 or http://www.hyper-formance.com

I think the rest of the parts will clean up acceptably for an early rider Stingray. Nice restoration so it can be shown will take more work and money than it's probably worth. And good luck finding the repop tires these days- very hard to get without spending $100 or more. Go with an off-brand and don't worry about skidding on them!

You can email me with questions, or if you're looking for parts, though most of my stuff is for 68-76 bikes.
[email protected]
--Rob

karfer67 said:
correct me if i am wrong but isnt that the wrong seat for that bike? i think the deluxe would have used the same persons seat as the standard ray. like mentioned before be super careful on the chain guard if it is dry DONT WIPE IT or you will take the lettering off in one shot. value is tough the economy is down but there are always collectors out there looking for early rays and that is a great color. i see resto and nice og early ones in the 1k range but not sure since the economy slid. also this one as is wont bring that i would say in the 2 to 5 hundred range.

yea i know the early ones use the flat top seat what i was not sure of was the deep pleats i am not familiar with those og on these bikes.

Hi!

I thank you all for the input and advice. Just a quick note to say that all parts (seat etc.) are original as bought in 1965. I got it from the original owner who assures me that he never did anything to the bike but ride it. With regard to the seat, I am looking at one of the restoration kits available at hyper-formance. Chainguard screening as well. Just wondering if the original, worn paint on the chainguard is worth more than a rescreened chainguard? Please advise. I know that the bike will never be worth what a good restoration would cost, but it might be worth it as a labor of love...

boru*2000 said:
Just wondering if the original, worn paint on the chainguard is worth more than a rescreened chainguard? Please advise. I know that the bike will never be worth what a good restoration would cost, but it might be worth it as a labor of love...

As far as value goes, I would leave the screen it's got now alone, you can still read it clear as day and the wear isn't too terrible. The less you change the more value it will hold ... and your pretty much right on the restoration cost ... it's often more costly than what a nice original could be bought for. Are you planning on riding it or just want something cool to have hanging around ???

Latest posts

Back