'67 Murray-built Sears Muscle Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I just picked up this 1967(?) 24" Murray-built Sears muscle bike with the 5-Speed Stick & Console shifter. It needs a bit of work, I'm almost certain it's a Spyder. I can't find any others from this model year, in this style, in this size. This is a '67 Spyder isn't it?

The original owner engraved his name with the month and year he bought it on the bottom of it, which is October, 1967. Could it be a late model year concoction or an early '68?

Can't wait to tear into this!

Pics can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/stephen.gaither.77

I think it's a '67 or '68. In '69 they changed to the "Spaceliner" type frame and double rear brakes. The seat isn't correct, although I like the Persons style better. (I'm going with Persons for mine as well) and the shifter isn't correct, but still looks good.

I'm going to be restoring a very rough '69 I saved from this site for the Muscle Bike Build-off starting next month.

Nice score!

I'm not sure everyone can see the pic, so I'm posting it again. I've seen the seat on several other Spyders. What is the correct shifter for this? This is a Spyder, correct? Or is it a Screamer?

It's a 24" Spyder. Below is a black one with a different chain guard set up, but it has the "correct" shifter.

img_0006-21-799x599.jpg

What do you think the shifter is off of? Or is it period aftermarket? The stick shifts were banned after 1971 thanks to Ralph Nader so it's at least that old.

I found a pic, it says this one is a 1970 Spyder. If they switched to the other frame in 1969 as Crash mentioned, then this may be the same year as your bike.

11il2jo.jpg

I very well could have the wrong info. I thought they had the CWC frame 67 and 68, then switched in 69, but I could be wrong.
Top bar shifters were banned in 1974 by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. So '75 model bikes of any kind didn't have them any longer. Yours looks like a Suntour. Didn't come on a bike, but was available as a replacement. I think it looks good and will work fine. If you're after "correct", you could find one.

Thank you all for your help and comments! I still haven't had a chance to tear into him. I've been busy feeling down this week :(

Robin williams was an avid cyclist and one of my favorite actors. I've bought back all of his movies I had as a kid and then some and have watching them again. I read on the CABE he had a vintage bike as well, but he likely had several if he had any interest in them.

Latest posts

Back