68 Oragne Krate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So I found this on Craigslist and was wondering what the value is. He wants 1700 for it and I know for a fact that it's not worth that, my guess is it's between 250-500 but I want to know what you guys think.
00q0q_fiEYYg9Leai_600x450_zps0naflydc.jpg

Now he claims that it's a 68 but I have not seen the serial-number so I don't know if he telling the truth.

This and vintage BMX stuff is hot now, but I seriously wonder if it will be as hot tomorrow? Gold was hot, comics were hot, baseball cards were hot. A lot of previously hot antique items have gotten soft recently. A lesson learned I say. Sit back and think about it. Right now I got the klunker bug, which is past hot, but I still got it and will spend way too much for something I think I need for klunking. Just think about this a little before you commit any big bucks. Thats a nice survivor bike however, but try and get it as cheap as you can. If he wants $1700 he really doesn't want to sell it so you may be waisting your time. Also consider, where are you going to find another one? You would probably have to assemble it from parts, which can get expensive, but that can be money spent over time instead of all at once. What is original on this bike and what is not? What would replacement parts cost for the non original items? Do you want to restore it or modify it? There is a local Schwinn collector that is interested in my Schwinn bikes and wants to buy them but my price is ridiculous. I have two I would consider selling but for not less than $200 each, which is more than they are worth. Like they say, everything is for sale for the right price.

This and vintage BMX stuff is hot now, but I seriously wonder if it will be as hot tomorrow? Gold was hot, comics were hot, baseball cards were hot. A lot of previously hot antique items have gotten soft recently. A lesson learned I say. Sit back and think about it. Right now I got the klunker bug, which is past hot, but I still got it and will spend way too much for something I think I need for klunking. Just think about this a little before you commit any big bucks. Thats a nice survivor bike however, but try and get it as cheap as you can. If he wants $1700 he really doesn't want to sell it so you may be waisting your time. Also consider, where are you going to find another one? You would probably have to assemble it from parts, which can get expensive, but that can be money spent over time instead of all at once. What is original on this bike and what is not? What would replacement parts cost for the non original items? Do you want to restore it or modify it? There is a local Schwinn collector that is interested in my Schwinn bikes and wants to buy them but my price is ridiculous. I have two I would consider selling but for not less than $200 each, which is more than they are worth. Like they say, everything is for sale for the right price.

Thank you for the info :)

Paint looks great - chrome looks decent - why are the seat and grips in such poor shape? My guess it is pieced together.

Paint looks great - chrome looks decent - why are the seat and grips in such poor shape? My guess it is pieced together.

The seller did say that his parents got it for him as a Christmas gift, and that he used it a lot as a kid and every time something went wrong they would bring it to the Schwinn dealer. Maybe they had to replace some parts?

Back