68 SCHWINN FASTBACK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I bought this 68 Fastback from the original owner. He had it stored in his attic for most of its life and got it down about 10 years ago and had a bike shop install some repop Schwinn Fastback tires. They were getting ready to sell their house so he decided it was time to let it go. He had saved money via a paper route to buy the bike in 1968. As far as he remembers, the speedo was installed by the dealer when he bought it.

Here's how it looks when I picked it up...

IMG_0656.jpg

Here it is after a wash with soap and water....no other detailing yet.

fastback.jpg

I plan to break it all down and give it my usual detail treatment. Hoping to track down a mint replacement seat also.

Will post detail process pics here as I go along.

What more can ya do with it :shock: I love it already, can't wait to see it when your done :wink:

The iPhone photos are pretty forgiving. There's some oxidation on the chrome and the paint needs to be compounded.

One cool thing was washing the bike today with dish soap and water really brought the decals back to life. Even the lettering on the shifter decal went from an old yellowish dingy color to bright white.

I'll be using the Nikon to capture the real details once I get going. :wink:

Cool, my Dad has it in the cabinet right now :D I know what I'm doing after school tomorrow :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
had a bike shop install some repop Schwinn Fastback tires.
Which bike shop had re-pop tires? I have the three speed version but need a new back rim and tires for both. :|

Back