7-speed Long handle Stick Shifter?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to modify my Black Electra 7D Cruiser. I'm trying to go for, what Dr. Tankenstein put it as, The 'Big boy Sting-Ray' vibe. Now that I'm looking around I see a lot of the old Schwinns had Stick shifters, so I you know where I'm going with this. Does anyone know if I can get one? I read somewhere that I may have to modify the regular shifters that I have on it to look like one, but I don't have the resources to do that. Can any one help?

Here's a pic of what it looks like so far:
DSC04512.jpg

I plan on giving it Mini-Ape Hangers, Chrome fenders, Bullet Headlamp, and maybe a Tank if I figure it out.

i think if you find one of the shifters with no detents (you know, it doesn't click into each gear) it should work.

i just put a little old five speed stick shift on a bike that has a 7sp cluster and it works fine.

bikes003.jpg

uh... i'm gonna go with... 'cause you titled this thread "7 speed..."?

ok, i'm sorry

the cluster is the bunch of sprockets on your back wheel. since you said 7 speed, there should be 7 sprockets on it.

Oh, ok I thought you were saying that I have to make sure the 5-spd Shifter had something that would work with 7-spd. Don't I feel stupid. Well I guess that would work, but I would need the every gear to change. hows your shifting?

it's fine. if anything it's like the shifter has too much range. i don't use the whole shifter motion to get all seven gears.

it's like an old friction shifter, so it doesn't click into each gear. you have to get a feel for it. i still look back at the cluster sometimes to make sure of the gear i'm in.

it shouldn't. the only thing is your top tube, just going by the pic, looks to be a little thicker than the top tubes on the old muscle bikes. guess you'd have to find or borrow one just to see if you can clamp it on. a lot of them fit the same top tube diameter (with some exceptions, like twin top tube rails). so, say you found an old schwinn krate shifter just to try. if it will go on, most others will also.

edit: i should also add that i've about hit my "take it with a grain of salt" limit. from here someone who knows more about electras and specific shifters needs to help you. i can say with certainty it will work, but what you mght have to do to make it physically happen i can't say.

Latest posts

Back