'70 Fastback...Finally Painted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe put this in the Winter Build Off....unfinished builds...

:39::39:...guess I don't see a good reason not to...:D

Here's the "starting" point for this one.

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....-2-mean-mr-mustard-1x9-install-begins.100458/

It was technically finished but now it's unfinished because I left off 8 gears....:21:

done20.jpg

Built this for the MBBO with the secret intention of taking it to work to use to get around the warehouse.

train.jpg

That was worked out awesome so far but I really need some gears on it....okay maybe I don't "need" them but I like lots of gears :).

So while sitting at my desk at work I've been contemplating converting this bike to a 9-speed.

work.jpg

Several internet purchases later and I've got a pile ready for a (hopefully) quick 9-speed conversion on this.

xmas.jpg

Went with a matching Alienation Anklebiter rim and 32h hub for a quick swap since I need this for work now...:)

wheel1.jpg

Wheel is built.

wheel2.jpg

Need to make this quick so I can take it back to work with me on Thursday so this will probably be short...unless I decide to try and paint it in the welding booth at work...:nerd:....might want to test some Schwinn yellow for the summer build...:cool2:

Getting ready to cook up some more coffee and head out for some fiddlin' & pix..:)...Happy New Year!!!!

Last edited:
Cool bike about to get cooler!

Thank you Luke! This thing is a blast to cruise around in the warehouse at work. Gears should make it even more fun.

Great to have you in the mix Chad! Sounds like you're 'gearing up' for another smooth and stylish build!

Not much of a build but since you wanted to see it.....:21:...contemplating some Ferrari yellow tho...:39:..lots of time 'til April.

Gee we just started and most of you have half bikes...

This one is OJ's fault...:p...I can't even prove it's unfinished. It's not even a build just something I'm fiddling with but since I brought it home for the conversion on the 31st I figured I might as well. Will give me an excuse to follow along with the shenanigans.

Plan to have this conversion done within 4 days. Progress on day one.

Got the chain line set. SRAM says 49mm for their 1x MTB setups. I've ended up at about 47mm which should be close since this hub is 130mm road bike spacing.

Figured out a handy way to measure the chain line with calipers. I put them at 1/2 the diameter of the seat tube (12.7mm) then set them to zero. This way you can put one jaw of the calipers on the outside of the seat tube and line the other one up with the center of the teeth on the chain ring.

chainline.jpg

Had to make a bit of room.

spread.jpg

Bought these cable stops you can use to put in a guide. Didn't end up using this clamp. Will have to get some detailed progress pics tommorow.

stop.jpg

Almost done already..:D..need to cut down the sissy bar to clear the deraileur and hook up the shift cable.

Ended up using a chrome steel BMX spider with the SRAM X-sync chain ring.

cr2.jpg

Here's how she sits now.

9sp1.jpg

Got this pretty much installed yesterday. Needed to shorten the sissy bar to clear the derailleur. Ended up cutting the inner sissy and leaving the outer 5/8 inch sleeve at the bottom.

sissy.jpg

Then I raised the bottom 5/8 inch section of sissy and capped it off to stop the inner part should it ever bottom out (it shouldn't the springs are really stiff.)

sissy2.jpg

Made the 5/8 inch section on the non-drive side longer so the height of the springs is even.

Had the bike to here yesterday.

bv.jpg

Runs great but seemed like it could use even more low end. Since I had a 40t (42t on there in the pic.) I decided to try that.

Only problem with that was that it is a Race Face ring with their ugly graphics on it. Needed to have the countersinks facing out too so couldn't flip it to the plain side.

So...decided to get the file out.

cr4.jpg

Got tired of that and got the oven cleaner out...

cr5.jpg

That took care of the anodizing but turned the part I filed black.

cr6.jpg

Nothing a little sanding coiuldn't fix.

cr7.jpg

Showed my 9 yr old son the sprocket when I got done sanding and he said.."Wow that looks cool...It's like rustic." ...:21:....Rustic usually means "too lazy to make it pretty" around here but I'll go with rustic for now. My rustic rod bike..:D

So here we are today. Ran the shift cable around the non-drive side of the head tube then under the down tube. Did this one without any drilling for cable stops.

cr3.jpg

Taking this back to work with me on Thurs. Need to do a bit of grinding work on back of the guard so will continue this from there. It took a lot of wrestling to get the guard to clear the spaced out chain ring and the cranks.

She's a sweet runner. Nice lively, quick little bike.

bv4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work per usje, Chad. Actually like the 'rustic' chain ring. But then, I would. :wink1:

Which derailleur hanger is that you are using? Could you explain the mounting / fit for that? Thanks!

Nice work per usje, Chad. Actually like the 'rustic' chain ring. But then, I would. :wink1:

Thank you! I actually thought of you when he said that....a wee bit of ratisfaction...:p..on a narrow/wide ring.:)..kinda looks like an old road bike/bmx ring.

Which derailleur hanger is that you are using? Could you explain the mounting / fit for that? Thanks!

I go to the local bike shop and tell him I need another "el cheapo" derailleur hanger..:21:

This one.

41tK2YgCjEL.jpg

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...BT_GBD-L7viG6XqGyfFc9McnFintp-fTucaAmyy8P8HAQ

Last edited:
Thanks Chad! I'll check it out.

I have one of these coming to maybe use on Outlaw, good to know it works OK!

The cheapo mount works fine. You just have to be careful not to crank the derailleur mount bolt too tight. The mount is thin and not hard to strip the threads. If I need to bend one for alignment I put an allen wrench in the mount bolt and hold some pressure to keep from damaging the threads while aligning the derailleur.

Thanks for the tips. I have one on order, if my BO axle mount Shimano Eagle der doesn't ....(wait for it)....'cut the mustard'. Mornin'! :chicken:

Thanks for the tips. I have one on order, if my BO axle mount Shimano Eagle der doesn't ....(wait for it)....'cut the mustard'. Mornin'! :chicken:

Classy looking unit that Shimano Eagle. Been drooling over the new Sram 1x12 Eagle.

Googled for a pic of the Shimano and found this article...lol. You got the long cage one with the holes in it?

That Sram Eagle would need an oven cleaner bath and lots of rubbing tho...they've gotten out of control with the flat black...and the red...meh

Finally got some sun. Will have to snap some pics of this mid-2000s sram 9-speed unit. Some of their best looking stuff IMO. My last day off for a a few but will be having fun on the bike.

Cool resto mod so far, i love modernizing bikes with newer drivetrains as well. Only question is why you spread the frame instead of respacing the hub to fit?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Cool resto mod so far, i love modernizing bikes with newer drivetrains as well. Only question is why you spread the frame instead of respacing the hub to fit?

Thank you. I'm not sure if you could change the spacing on the axle and still be able to get the wheel built properly. The spokes on the drive side would be almost straight in the center. Spreading the frame is not too bad to do with a steel Schwinn.

Can't tell you guys how much fun it is having this bike at work.

Stopped by the scale yesterday for a quick weigh-in.

scale.jpg

Then today I brought her up to the shop so I could grind down the lip on the chain guard. It was rubbing in 9th gear.

bench2.jpg

Plenty of room now. Should have took a before pic but the guard had about 3/16 of lip at the bottom I ground down to about 1/16

bench.jpg

This pic was her last day outside for a while.

9sp6.jpg

Been pondering the possibility of a paint job...:39:

Perhaps some Ferrari Fly yellow. It's such a cool color Porsche has it's own paint code for it.

da7a9e5ea5b175e2d3948e5cbb37a4c3.jpg

Not sure if this is Fly yellow but I really like this.

2009-Ferrari-599-GTB-Fiorano-yellow.jpg

It's just fun to say Fly yellow..:D

I was surprised it was that light with the steel cranks, nanner and springer on there. I can only bunny hop if I'm headed for a curb. Stock 5 speed Fastback is 39 lbs.

Yeah i guess the deep dish caused by moving the hub over even just a little would be an issue. Could use a rim with an offset spoke bed, but i dont think those exist in the 20" schwinn variety! Looking good!

Something i just noticed, have to ask, did you build that rear wheel 3x on the drive side and radial on the non drive? Cool touch if you did ;)

Latest posts

Back