'70 Fastback...Finally Painted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to ask that... how it compared to the first time you did it. IIRC, you did the first one with Campy? But the SRAM is smoother?

Nice work!

Thank you CRASH. Actually did a comparo of the different 1X Sting Rays. They're all SRAM drivetrains. The orange Fastback has a Campy headset and front hub.

Here's the SRAM X0 9 spd mech on the orange bike.

mech1.jpg

On this yellow one I used the next model down with a short cage. X9 9 Speed

mech2.jpg

10 Speed Scrambler has the X9 10-speed which also includes a clutch on the cage which prevents chain drops.

mech3.jpg

They all shift great. The orange bike was a challenge using the stock Mag sprocket. Yellow bike is the smoothest mainly because it is using an narrow/wide front chain ring.

Cool Pic! [emoji106]

A pair of really cool bikes !

Thanks chewy!!

mech4.jpg

Digging the modern drivetrains on the stingrays! Even a clutch equipped 10spd setup, I dont even have that on my mtn bikes, I still run shimano 9spd!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Digging the modern drivetrains on the stingrays! Even a clutch equipped 10spd setup, I dont even have that on my mtn bikes, I still run shimano 9spd!

The clutch is nice. Good front ring seems to help the most with these.

Derailleur on the Panther is the nicest in the fleet.

mech.jpg

Now back to this build....

Since I have an extra set of hoops for this I decided to sand and polish one of them.

hoops4.jpg

Not a huge difference but might be worth swapping if I can get the other one as shiny or maybe even shinier for the front. This one would go on the back.

Also decided to go ahead and try to paint this beast while she is still in a build off. Then i would feel more justified in posting it up as finished.

Paint doesn't look that bad from a distance but it's a disaster up close. It's an old re-spray where the decals were masked off.

Also dying to see what this Ferrari Modena yellow looks like on a Schwinn.

ferrari.jpg

I only ordered one can so I'm going to polish the dropouts to try and stretch it as far as possible. I've gotten pretty good at covering a bike with a rattle can though. Plan on doing etch primer then a silver base coat before hitting it with the yellow.

Have the full set of Fastback decals coming in black and was also able to order the decals for a possible summer build...:39:...is it too early to be thinking about Bowelve?....:21:...:bandit:

Um, I hope not. :grin: Had my BO-XII build hanging in the BACK40 since last July waiting to be started....

You may have to change the name of the build to fit the color...Schwinnareli ....Schwinnari...
Ferschwinnsizzle?

Your drive trains are more modern than mine on my current road and full sus mtb rides! XX1?? 11spd?? :envy::21:

Kind of a busy couple days here in the garage.

Got the hoops polished and un-built then rebuilt the wheels.

hoops.jpg

Not super shiney but much shinier. Shiny enough to pop a little more than the stock finish.

hoops2.jpg

Since I had the wheels off I finished the dis-assembly.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

Her last day as a rat.

fb8.jpg

Your drive trains are more modern than mine on my current road and full sus mtb rides! XX1?? 11spd?? :envy::21:

I get carried away sometimes but this 9-speed was fairly economical. The front ring was the most expensive part. Using the stock cranks with a BMX spider and the narrow wide ring made it possible to achieve an optimum chain line with the latest narrow wide single ring technology.

chainring.jpg

The 1X is tough on a 20 inch bike. Chain has to make some tight turns.

chainline.jpg

Like this setup with the shorty cage X9 9-sp derailleur and 28-11 cassette. Also used 10 speed chain. The 9 speed chain is real wide for some reason and ironically, doesn't work very well with a 9 speed.

Oh yeah! Now you are taking this paint job to another level. Should add a real 'speed' look to this for sure. Mimic a vintage road bike style on a muscle(+) bike? Breaking new ground...

Oh yeah! Now you are taking this paint job to another level. Should add a real 'speed' look to this for sure. Mimic a vintage road bike style on a muscle(+) bike? Breaking new ground...

Thank you brother. Glad to see this gimmick is having the desired effect. Muscle Cycling?...:21:

Wrapped up the polishing on the frame for the most part....and the forks.

forks.jpg

Pic from this morning reminded me of Macro Monday....then I realized it's Monday..:D

douts4.jpg

May leave some little patches of yellow and primer.

DF....(Apr 1970), could also stand for Dino Ferrari...:p

Wow, that turned out great! Matches the saddle really well too. You do good work sir!

Thank you fellas!! Was a little worried about the paint matching the seat but it seems to have worked out.

Got the guard done. Left the top of it chrome instead of painted like the original. Will get a glamour shot tomorrow morning if I can.

paint11.jpg

paint12.jpg

Latest posts

Back