700c vs 29er I'd like a springer...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It's dicey... I take my tape measure over to Walmarf and something like a Onyx has roughly 14.5" - 15" axle to outer tread... eyeballin' it. Monark's pretty close, I found one pic with Google showing a Monark next to a ruler... I have a 700c Schwinn Crisscross mid 90's hybrid.. I'd like to go bigger than a stock 700 x 38 tire and I want a springer front! Any ideas? My LBS is no help... no Monarks around here that I can look at... What about fabbing new rocker plates for the end of the forks to gain an inch or two?

Carl.

Last edited:
using thicker material I do an inch, probably stainless and put in sealed bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about one of the new Monark fork clones?

Another suggestion is to look at some of the smaller 29er tires. Continental makes one called the Retro Ride and it comes in a 28 x 2.0 size. Thing about Conti tires is they rarely measure up to their claimed size. I have some 700 x 37 Conti Sport Contacts that are at best 32mm wide. Same story for my 700 x 28 Conti Gatorskins.

That's the other problem... Known tire and rim combo's...
I'd like to run Fat Franks in brown...

Carl.

I suppose in the truest Rat style...
I should just get the parts I want and MAKE them work!

Carl.

look at the Springer on the bike in my avatar, imagine the fort came from us choppers and was on a Jesse James chopper bike. I cut it down about 3 feet....
Make it work.

Bicycledesigner shows their fork on an Onyx:

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-forks/cuda-double-springer-fork---black.html

zonex29-cruiser-double-springer-fork.jpg

Back