'72 Schwinn Fair Lady restoration COMPLETE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update (no pics this time):
-Tire replaced with a better one. It's a NOS Schwinn Westwind. (thanks to BicycleBones on Ebay)
-Shift cable (903) replaced with the correct one (908) (thanks to rust63 at SchwinnBikeForum). And I've successfully set up and adjusted a Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed for the first time. I was worried that my hub overhaul would be screwed up, but it all seems to work. Although it does to seem to have some unknown noises (clicks) coming from it. But I'll have to see what's causing those.
-Handlebars all set up. I've discovered that the brake cables I got were too thick, so looking for replacements. Want to keep them stock-looking gray.
-Speedometer is in acg-schwinn's (at SchwinnBikeForum) shop getting an overhaul and beautification. That will be the last piece to add, provided I get the brakes done in time.

That's a good dad getting her an NOS Westwind! :thumbsup:

I think some clicking could be normal. It's been a long time since I rode a 3 spd but I kind of remember them clicking in one of the gears.

Is she excited about the bike?

Is she excited about the bike?
Unfortunately yes. She's watching it come together because I'm not doing a good job of hiding it while I'm at work, so she sees it. So there won't be any "big reveal" where she gets to see if for the first time like on Christmas morning or a birthday party. One day will just have it parked in the driveway and will need to fit it to her so she can ride it.

That day will be pretty soon.

Update (without pics):
- Brakes are done.
- New chain lubed
- SA hub additional lube added (just in case)
- Pedals installed.

I got word today from Andy that the speedo is done and looking fabulous and will be on the way home tomorrow. If everything goes well the speedo will be installed Wednesday.

I still have to install the sissy and seat and guess on the height. I also have to do a final cleaning to get the build grease and lube off everything and shine it up for the final reveal.

Any suggestions on what to clean it with?

Sounds good CRASH. Little cleaner wax should clean her up just fine. Or some mild glaze like Meguiar's #3 or #7.

When I did one of my son's bikes I set the seat height to match that of the bike he was riding or pretty close.

Update picture:

IhpCod.jpg

I'm trying to hide it from her, but my wife tells me she has peeked a couple times.

I'm waiting for the Speedo to get in. It's expected Thursday, but I may not be able to work on it till Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. I installed the seat and sissy, but haven't set them for height yet. I also have to seat the tires a little better as they have some wobble in them. Then I have to clean it and present it to her (after some pictures for you all.)

The front wheel was a bear to install with the speedo hub in there, but I managed to do it and re-adjust the brakes to work with the shifted fork blades. The installation of the speedo is proving challenging. I got a 23.5" cable from Andy, and he said it would have to be maneuvered to work, but so far it isn't going so well. 21.5" is the standard for this bike, but finding one I can afford is proved difficult.

Here's the cable with the speedo mounted in the normal position. As you can see, with the basket it bends the cable at a 'break' angle where the basket pushes on it. It also pushes on the basket, which will make it a little difficult for her to get it settled in to ride with it. Putting the speedo on the opposite side to take up the cable's slack behind the basket rack would require another extreme angle to get it to fit in the head, so I don't think that would work.

5VDS67.jpg

Andy said I may have to mount it in different areas. I believe one of the place was up the bar a bit. I thought that would work because it would stretch out the cable to keep it out of the way of the basket. But I had to modify (bend) the bracket to get it to mount. The speedo head doesn't sit in it right (but I think I could tighten it down enough) but the cable still wants to poke out towards the basket.

fubMwa.jpg

So now that I've ruined the mount, is there a way to salvage installing it where it is up the bar, or should I mount it in another spot that I'm not seeing?

Try rotating the drive forward so it takes a little slack out of the cable. Ideally you want that speedo cable to be a straight shot. The new tire looks great!

You might be able to mount it in the normal spot but with the speedo behind the handlebars. Then you could rotate the drive so it's behind the axle. (you'll have to hook the cable to the opposite end of the drive where the cap is now). Then you might be able to get a gentler curve in the cable and the speedo wont interfere with the basket?

I might have a small cable that's useable too.

If you have a 21.5" cable I'm interested. But in the meantime, here's how I got it mounted. I used a small zip tie to hold it to the rack behind where the basket will sit. I used white electrical tape to "pretty up" the ugly cable I had, but since the cable moved so much it left sticky residue all over it which attracts dirt and grease. Not the best looking solution. So, if I can find an affordable metal 21.5" cable, that would be awesome.

DY6Fez.jpg

The bike came out great! I'm glad you kept the original paint on that one, it was a diamond in the rough for sure. With your detailing it came out fantastic! Nice job man!

:41::41::41:

Wow that came out nice! That's gotta be the nicest Fairlady there is. The new owner looks quite pleased.:thumbsup: Really awesome.

If you have a 21.5" cable I'm interested. But in the meantime, here's how I got it mounted. I used a small zip tie to hold it to the rack behind where the basket will sit. I used white electrical tape to "pretty up" the ugly cable I had, but since the cable moved so much it left sticky residue all over it which attracts dirt and grease. Not the best looking solution. So, if I can find an affordable metal 21.5" cable, that would be awesome.

I took a quick look in the garage and didn't spot it. It might actually be shorter. It was for the Midget Stingray. I would have measured that one but him and momma are out of town and he took that bike with him.

I like the way you have it routed now though. Works out well with the basket. That should be good as long as it doesn't bind. I'll let you know on the cable when I figure out the length and or find it. I replaced it because it had a loose end and that bike has a springer. Would work fine on a non-springer but I think it may be too short.

Amazing job on this one!

Latest posts

Back