78 schwinn le tour what should I do.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what should I do

• Sell to someone that will restore it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turn it into a fixie like I wanted.

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got this bike in this condition for the price of $0

IMG_5753.jpg

Run the serial code and find its a japan made letour built march of 78.

I stripped some parts off and put new rubber on it wanting to fixie it but after looking into the serial code Im wondering if I should sell it to someone that wants to restore it or should I go ahead and make it a fixie.

I figure if I sell it I can fund another fixie build. If I do this bike it will get all cable guides cut off and painted rolling rock green with some white parts. If this is a collectable bike I dont wanna mess with it.

LMK what you would do. I have all original parts till minus the seat, tires, brakes, kickstand. Here it is now.

IMG_5987.jpg

Make is a fixie, so everybody else's original Le Tour's are worth more.

mastronaut said:
It's a ridable bike, which makes it worth about $80.00 as is, the decals are pretty much gone, the pedals are not original, so my assumption is, is that if you sell it someone will make a fixed gear out of it, so you might as well do it first. :lol:

Sounds like a plan to me. Wasnt sure about pedals, figured they looked a little cheap for the bike. I got some platforms ill throw on it instead.

You are not destroying anything valuable or rare. There was literally thousands upon thousands of those made and they are still readily available in really nice condition for relatively cheap, if not dirt cheap at garage sales and thrift stores.Do your thang man and ride it like you stole it!

not collectable.
i've given 2 of 'em away.
i'd have converted them to a fixed gear myself, but the frames were to tall for me. i'm only 5'3"

rolling rock green sounds cool, but you must put rolling rock bottle caps at the end of the bars if ya do that 8)

beatcad said:
not collectable.
i've given 2 of 'em away.
i'd have converted them to a fixed gear myself, but the frames were to tall for me. i'm only 5'3"

rolling rock green sounds cool, but you must put rolling rock bottle caps at the end of the bars if ya do that 8)

bottle cap bar ends are a great idea. I seen it done a ton on bmx and mtb bikes, never even thought of it for this.

whats wrong with doing it like you want? theres nothing that making a fixie out of it that cant be easily reversed if you want to get rid of it(just my opinion and as always my opinion is worthless....just ask my wife :wink: )

looks like a good frame to convert to me, good frame, right price and just keep the drive parts you take off if you ever want to convert it back someday.

fixed rear wheel and some chainring bolts and youll be fixed :)

free bike right? why not make somebodies day extend the same favor.
the reward will last longer than the $80 ya think your gonna get. :)

icyuod2 said:
free bike right? why not make somebodies day extend the same favor.
the reward will last longer than the $80 ya think your gonna get. :)

I give away plenty of free bikes. This one wont be one of them. I have been riding this thing as its pictured above and love it.

got ya, i figured it wasn't really your style.
i've given away a fair amount of bikes also. mainly the ones that don't do much for me.
everytime i do, theres one more person out there looking for old bikes on my behalf. it seems most, (if they can) always want to return the favor with something alittle more up my alley.

its not the reason i do it, but i sure don't mind when an old bike shows up on the front porch.

pabst blue ribbon on mine :wink:
000_0004-1.jpg

icyuod2 said:
got ya, i figured it wasn't really your style.
i've given away a fair amount of bikes also. mainly the ones that don't do much for me.
everytime i do, theres one more person out there looking for old bikes on my behalf. it seems most, (if they can) always want to return the favor with something alittle more up my alley.

its not the reason i do it, but i sure don't mind when an old bike shows up on the front porch.

Most of what I give away are kids bikes or walmart type bikes or old mtbs. I have been looking for some kind of road bike and since this bikes gears were not working great and I dont like to mess with that stuff I decided to either go fixie or just single speed it.

deorman said:
The old flat cogs never work as good as what they make now anyway.(except el cheapos)

its more the rear derailer. The original sachs is trash and all i have is some el cheapos of walmart bikes, so instead of fighting those I have one on for tension right now till I pick a gear I like.

Back