8 More free bikes including a Bontrager

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My friend who owns a bunch of rental units told me at lunch today he had 4 bikes I could have at one of his units. I went over to his unit (he said they were behind the garage) to check it out. There were 8 bikes there. Seven 20 inch and one big box woman's mountain bike. They were all frozen into the ground and a snow bank and tangled in a junk pile with snow drift so I could not load any of them into my truck. One looks like it might be something worth passing on. I usually dismantle these for my scrap trailer but there is a 20 inch silver Bontrager BMX bike there that looks like it is from the 80s or 90s. I'm not into BMX so I really didn't note any details, other than it was silver. What caught my eye at first were the nice platform pedals. The seat is not original as it Schwinn marked on it. It appears to be in good shape but I can't tell if the wheels are true or not as they are frozen into the snow bank and tangled with a pile of other junk. Is there any demand for this bike? I could possibly pass it along instead of cutting it up. At least one of the other 20 inch bikes is a BMX bike with caliper brakes but I don't recall what it is. He indicated I could have them all. It will be a few weeks before I can go get them as I will be traveling out of the area. What do you think about this bike, anything worth my time trying to pass along?

Bontrager is the brand name for Trek's house brand of parts. Tires, wheels, stems, bars, etc. they would not be originally used on a Schwinn bike, so it is either a Schwinn bike with Bontrager parts, or a Trek bike with a Schwinn seat, or just a random bike with some name brand parts swapped onto it. Pictures would help. These days I would figure out what any BMX bike is before scrapping it.

A five gallon bucket of hot water applied carefully should free those bikes in a heartbeat...

Carl.

A five gallon bucket of hot water applied carefully should free those bikes in a heartbeat...

Carl.
Its 8 degrees now and going down to -20F tonight, not worth the trouble. I would have to bring hot water from home, which would not be hot when I got to the garage. The well is out in his rental
and they were trying to pull the pump, which was stuck in the well casing earlier today.
Bontrager is the brand name for Trek's house brand of parts. Tires, wheels, stems, bars, etc. they would not be originally used on a Schwinn bike, so it is either a Schwinn bike with Bontrager parts, or a Trek bike with a Schwinn seat, or just a random bike with some name brand parts swapped onto it. Pictures would help. These days I would figure out what any BMX bike is before scrapping it.
Here is what it looked like, not a picture of the actual bike. The seat was replaced with a Schwinn one and it had white metal platform pedals.

Yeah, Bontrager is the name put on Trek's house-brand components these days, but BITD, Keith Bontrager made awesome MTBs (1980s) and BMX bikes (1990s). The earlier Bontrager BMX bikes were made by Bontrager in Cali, but later ones were made by Trek in the Waterloo plant. Here's some info here: http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1984Bontrager.html

Bontrager is one of several brands that Trek bought out and killed, or forever changed. In this case, though, Keith still works for Trek, designing components and doing R&D. I read a Dirt Rag interview where he said he likes to be able to design rad stuff without having to worry about the bottom line and whatnot. But, basically, Trek bought the name, buried the line of bikes (after a few years), but kept the brand alive b/c it was well-regarded and they got a good designer as an employee.

@us56456712 as others said, pics would help, but all of these Bontrager bikes are quality. Take a look-see at these for clues: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/bontrager/

HTH
-Rob

Yeah, Bontrager is the name put on Trek's house-brand components these days, but BITD, Keith Bontrager made awesome MTBs (1980s) and BMX bikes (1990s). The earlier Bontrager BMX bikes were made by Bontrager in Cali, but later ones were made by Trek in the Waterloo plant. Here's some info here: http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1984Bontrager.html

Bontrager is one of several brands that Trek bought out and killed, or forever changed. In this case, though, Keith still works for Trek, designing components and doing R&D. I read a Dirt Rag interview where he said he likes to be able to design rad stuff without having to worry about the bottom line and whatnot. But, basically, Trek bought the name, buried the line of bikes (after a few years), but kept the brand alive b/c it was well-regarded and they got a good designer as an employee.

@us56456712 as others said, pics would help, but all of these Bontrager bikes are quality. Take a look-see at these for clues: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/bontrager/

HTH
-Rob
Thanks, I didn't know this. Now that you mention it I have seen Bontrager tires on bikes. I didn't make the name connection when I saw the bike as I thought the bike and tire manufactures were different companies with the same name. But something looked special about that bike, like it was purpose built and higher quality. I hope it is still there when I get back. I won't have a use for it but it sounds like it should be passed along. Perhaps the local coop that help kids build bikes from parts?

I lusted after a Bontrager mountain bike once. Nicely built frame and beautiful paint. Definitely go get it in the spring thaw.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

No Brainer... always take free bikes. You can sort them out later and throw away what you don't want. Sounds like you may have a score!

No Brainer... always take free bikes. You can sort them out later and throw away what you don't want. Sounds like you may have a score!
Parts is parts...
bike-parts.jpg

Back