'84 Schwinn Cruiser Kickstand Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,
Finally getting around to putting my '84 Schwinn Cruiser together. Even treating it to a lay back seat post, Bendix yellow band 2 speed and replacing the tubular fork with a chrome springer! This is the coaster brake model with the 26x2.125 tires. I believe this one was made in Taiwan. The only thing missing is a kickstand. Would anyone happen to know the correct part number for this model's kickstand? Thanks!!
-Mike

Last edited:
This all I could find today. It looks like the same kickstand as earlier bikes with frame mounted kickstand from the 1984 catalog picture. So it would probably be the same as the 26" middleweight (57-370) or heavy duty middle weight (57-378). The tandems kickstand might work also.
1678070019436.png

1678070536917.png

Here's a thread from Schwinn bike forums. It's an 85 model but the 57-378 works.
https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/index.php?topic=36258.0

Last edited:
Oh, for sure. If these work for you I assume I could mail you one c.o.d. I've no use for kickstands. The duplicates are 77 Schwinns.View attachment 225823
It looks like to me the 2 schwinn stands are for lightweight bikes as the angle is to sharp for a middle weight. A '84 would be a Hungarian schwinn I believe. I do not own any that late but I think the stands are the same as the Chicago schwinns. There are a few different types so the easiest way is to use a stand you know is from a similar bike.

Here's that shot of the bike. I think I'm going to go with the 27.5 X 9" rise handlebars.
Bike will be painted Metallic Cobalt Blue similar to the Mustang behind it.
The Speedster chainguard had to be shortened and shifted a bit to the left. A new rear chainguard mounting tab was welded on about 15 years ago to accommodate the one from the Speedster.
The fork steering tube had to be shortened about 3/8" and threaded a little further down.
The Bendix two-speed kickback isn't always 100% cooperative - maybe just needs a good cleaning and fresh grease.
There was a fella selling these solid metal layback seatposts I believe on this site a few years ago. I highly recommend them - sitting a little further back makes riding so much more comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here's that shot of the bike. I think I'm going to go with the 27.5 X 9" rise handlebars.
Bike will be painted Metallic Cobalt Blue similar to the Mustang behind it.
The Speedster chainguard had to be shortened and shifted a bit to the left. A new rear chainguard mounting tab was welded on about 15 years ago to accommodate the one from the Speedster.
The fork steering tube had to be shortened about 3/8" and threaded a little further down.
The Bendix two-speed kickback isn't always 100% cooperative - maybe just needs a good cleaning and fresh grease.
There was a fella selling these solid metal layback seatposts I believe on this site a few years ago. I highly recommend them - sitting a little further back makes riding so much more comfortable.
Nice bike!
It has same style decals as a '89 i am working on lately. Are you sure yours is '84? If so, then can you share with me, what are tell-tale parts for that year? I am still learning my ways with 80's Schwinns.

Correction: it's actually a 1985 (I think). The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the crank and it begins with E5...... E would be the the fifth month, May, and 5 for 1985. As far as tell tale parts, I originally started with a bare frame and a bent tubular fork.

Last edited:
I looked at the catalogs again, the cruiser was last shown in 1984. The catalogs go to 1988, but don't show any cruiser framed bikes after 1984. But I think they didn't show them in the catalogs when they were made out of country, just a guess.

From the 1984 page:
1678271238880.png

I dug deeper and found some info on the CABE from 2014:

"
Late 1976 - California Cruiser introduced with 26" S2 Balloon wheels and tires
1977 - California Cruiser renamed Spitfire*
Late 1978 - Klunker 5 introduced w/drum brake, Spitfire renamed Klunker
1979 - Klunker/Klunker 5 renamed Spitfire/Spitfire 5, 24" wheel Spitfire introduced
1980 - Spitfire/Spitfire 5 renamed Cruiser/Cruiser 5, Deluxe Cruiser (springer) and Ladies' Cruiser introduced
1981 - Deluxe Cruiser (springer) discontinued
1982 - 20" wheel Cruiser introduced, Cruiser 5 and 20"/24" wheel Cruisers discontinued
1983 - Cruiser changed to tubular BMX style fork, Ladies' model discontinued
1984 - Cruiser 5 re-introduced w/o drum brake, Cruiser/Cruiser 5 made by Murray in TN
1985 - Cruiser/Cruiser 5 Men's and Ladies' models re-introduced, made in Taiwan
1986+ - Don't care enough to persue further!"

Last edited:
Another correction: After a good sanding, serial plainly clear and it starts with ES80xxxx Now I haven't a clue what year it is (definitely not Chicago).

Latest posts

Back