Mostly Garbage Day Eve Finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given this of Huffy Sante Fe. The chrome steel wheels were very rusty. I cleaned the wheels with vinegar and waxed them. My daughter wants this one. I am going to paint it Pearl Metallic Champagne Pink per her request.

Used a 3M type decal remover rubber wheel to get the graphics off. Sanded those spots and put temporary primer on for now. I'll will be priming it flat white primer prior to the Champagne Pink.

20210928_164111.jpg

20210928_164116.jpg

Also got a free Magna 24" Rip Curl women's cruiser. It still has the mold flashing rubber on the tread that comes in contact with the road. I'm not sure it was ever ridden. It was built with the rear rim strip rolled up to one side and the tube sitting right on the spokes. The tube was punctured on the rim contact side. New rims strip came today, tube will be here tomorrow. I never owned a 24" before and didn't have any parts. This one is going to my other daughter. It isn't much as it is real entry level but I think it is nearly brand new.

24 Magna.jpg

I got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WG2XYE

It works great for my purposes. It can hurt the paint but that didn't matter as I was planning a repaint. It could be the paint could be saved with care. It removed the bicycle graphics very fast.

A friend just given a couple of more freebies. Another Huffy and a Step-thru Schwinn. Dry rotted flats all around, left outside for years, heavy algae from Florida dampness. Insect carcasses called "case bearers" stuck on them, vines thru the wheels.

I will fix up the Huffy with used tires and a quick repaint to give away and help someone get started.

My wheels are turning on the Schwinn step thru. I have fishing rod racks that I put on one of my cruisers. It makes it really hard to mount because you can't throw a leg over it with the rods in the racks.. I'm thinking about making a dedicated fishing bike out of this Schwinn. I could get on and off much easier. It could have a built in cooler and tackle boxes. I'm thinking something always ready to go. The seven speed derailleur would help getting down the canals and to the lakes.

The handbrakes were frozen and I freed them up. Still has a frozen derailleur. This is the first one I have ever fooled with and do not know where to start freeing it up. So far I have sprayed it with lube. I can't do much yet just four weeks out of shoulder replacement surgery.

Free Pair of Cruisers.jpg

Huffy Chain Side.jpg

Huffy Left Side.jpg

Schwinn Step-thru.jpg

Schwin Step-thru left side.jpg

The black Huffey is gone. Cleaned it, lubed it, put lights and tires on it and some tapered grips. Added a couple of anodized red details. Then gave it to a hotrodder neighbor of mine who had been battling some serious health issues.

20220708_182945.jpg

20220708_182925.jpg

This was in the garbage up the street. Had vegetation growing around it. Also sand crusted on the bottom bracket. The wheels were fused. Changed the bearing, fork and wheel set just for a test rides good.

It is nothing special modern "Kent, Shogun cruiser series." Has a BMX style stem, 26" wheels, smallish bars, largish seat, cool 44T chain wheel. Large 20T rear cog. I think I will tear it down for parts. I may clean the frame up for a future project or give away bike for someone in need.

IMG_4338.JPG

Got this cruiser at our Goodwill for cheap to strip for parts. Saved everything but the frame.
View attachment 227311
Ha. I am working on that exact bike now. Magna Rip Curl. It is very low quality. Belongs to my good friend’s wife. I stripped it down and painted it. Building a 3 speed wheel with a vintage Sturmey archer AW. I am putting more effort and money into it than it is worth. Having fun though. Might use your picture as my “before” pic.

Garbage Day Eve was a day late this week. This Specialized 20" Hot Rock was thrown out. All parts were full size except the bars and frame. I have it down to the bare frame. I have been looking for a 20" wheel set and this is a good one.
20230906_114351.jpg

20230906_114326.jpg

Found out once I got the sticker off the front sprocket I had a nice solid 36T sprocket in chrome. The Specialized block stem is nice too.

The same day a person put a Dewalt XRL drill and a Dewalt 18v reciprocating saw out on their trash cans like they might be salvageable, the drill was full of sand and locked up. The saw just has a short on a brush wire now it works great.

Nothing like Garbage Day Eve.
20230909_140132.jpg

Last edited:
Spotted this on Garbage Day Eve, not sure what I've got yet. I know it's 26". It reads Trek Single Track 930 USA. It looks like they were having derailer issues.
20230919_091954.jpg

Spotted this on Garbage Day Eve, not sure what I've got yet. I know it's 26". It reads Trek Single Track 930 USA. It looks like they were having derailer issues.
View attachment 248514
One of the largest mass produced Trek models. Still a solid piece and the retro 26” crowd loves them

Score

my guess is it never saw any single track.
Here in Florida Mt. Bikes are what you mostly see. Go figure. It's like all the 4x4s you see parked in the suburbs. The way they park in the retail lots it's like somebody bought more truck than they can handle.😄

View attachment 248514
Trek's naming system is code for what you are getting:
3 digits means steel, the higher the first digit, the better the quality. 9 series was their top production frame. Last two digits is trim level, 30 was the lower end. So you have a great frame with decent, reliable parts, but not racer spec. If you show the other side, I can tell you more about it

Already dismantled. 21 speed. Shimano brakes. All cables and shift mechanisms were bad. I'm saving the seat post, stem, bars and have plans for the forks.

Got these from a friend who has a paper route. He is out early on garbage day. Tip: Make friends with a paper carrier with a truck. :grin:

From left to right. Schwinn Meridian aluminum frame trike with tacoed drive wheel. Center Huffy 7 speed step through. Working and clean a little rust. Right, Kent 7 speed cruiser. Needs brake adjustment.

20231106_104457.jpg

Got these from a friend who has a paper route. He is out early on garbage day. Tip: Make friends with a paper carrier with a truck. :grin:

From left to right. Schwinn Meridian aluminum frame trike with tacoed drive wheel. Center Huffy 7 speed step through. Working and clean a little rust. Right, Kent 7 speed cruiser. Needs brake adjustment.

View attachment 251957
nice wow wow wee wow GIF

Latest posts

Back