A Lengthy Insanity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a lovely morning here and I got another nice bike ride with the Mrs. I did not change the handlebars except to pull them back a little.

Here’s a comparison shot of my three bicycles. Perspective kind of blows the comparison in a photo. But clearly the blue Sting-gray wins the rake contest. It’s the raked tree plus 20” rear wheel.
45E79DA2-6532-4031-ACD3-F7B79DE6C370.jpeg

I lined up the rear tires. Sting-gray has 48” wheelbase vs. 41” for the black bike. 48” also for the Insanity.
2B16D389-B17C-437C-919B-8FA57454AA66.jpeg

Here you can see my feet. Err…Also, the overall length of the bikes from above! This shows that the black bike and the blue bike are close in length.
CD21B511-7016-4CAF-8C06-F3D5A86B84C6.jpeg

Overall, the black bike is 68”, blue 72” and the insanity 78” (Still a bit short!)

I was working outdoors today, grinding steel until I got to be about 100°F.

At that point I started working in the garage, which is air-conditioned.

I didn’t work on this bike today except to reverse that gooseneck again. It rides much nicer now.

After working in the garage where it is only about 80, I went out for a ride on the blue bike (aka The Sting-Gray) at 110F again.

A very short ride. 8D

I was working outdoors today, grinding steel until I got to be about 100°F.

I didn’t work on this bike today except to reverse that gooseneck again. It rides much nicer now.

Ah, so the ideal gooseneck position depends on air temperature, that is not something that I had considered before... ;)

The weather is nice here at the moment, but my bike is still in pieces.

Ah, so the ideal gooseneck position depends on air temperature, that is not something that I had considered before... ;)

The weather is nice here at the moment, but my bike is still in pieces.
This is why I like to have at least two operating at all times. The urge to go ride might strike at any time regardless of temperature!

Anyhow there is no ideal position for that gooseneck. One of the 4 possible is marginally acceptable in function, But it still looks ugly.

I’ve been shopping for another gooseneck but so far nothing has floated my boat.

Finally caught up on this build. Looking good with the forks and nanner. Nice easy rider riding position.

Unfortunately I’m not set up to do any welding in the garage. Too many flammables about. No room to swing a cat right now.

I need to kick my wife’s car out of the garage so I have more room to work.

No progress today except that I ordered a 32x2.125 front wheel. I don't know if I will like it on this bike, being so fat, and so it may end up on another build.

Unfortunately, it is only in black with black spokes and hub. Fortunately, the alloy hoop and hub will buff up nicely, and I can order some stainless spokes when I am ready.

I've been dinking around with the Sting-Gray, and another bike I haven't shown yet, and I will probably make no further progress on this bike until I finish with it and the Kawasaki.

New project in the boat yard!

Some guy tossed out the remains of this stock rack, and I picked it up off the street. The long tubes were long gone but the stands themselves are awesome.
5AA2889C-D8CB-466E-8E4F-D02FDEB33C76.jpeg

This is all 1.5”x1.5” x 3/16” wall & will be enough to build a small stock rack for me plus a welding table. I don’t have enough steel plate yet, and I will probably scrounge that somewhere soon.
EB190B25-3900-4F44-82FC-5356AD43D791.jpeg

Artistic shot showing the subtle interplay of light, rust and dirt.
A5649EC4-FDFB-4275-8E4B-30A8F60A6CE2.jpeg

After I’m finished I’ll probably have enough scraps left to build the worlds heaviest bicycle.
:giggle:

Before I start on this I’m going to try and finish the Sting–gray and the Kawasaki, and get my fishing buddy’s welding project out of my yard. Two weeks minimum…

In the meantime, I won’t have bicycle separation anxiety because I have two nice riders right now, plus my wife’s, (which needs a full service soon.)

I think I might play a dirty trick on my wife, by buying her a brand new bicycle. Then I can avoid servicing hers, and steal her suntour gear. I might have to find a crack in the frame.:nod:

My wife won’t let me touch her bikes except tune-ups and general maintenance. of course they’re high-quality factory bikes.

She made the rule that I am required to have at least one bike rideable at a time, so, a second one rideable before I tear down the first.

I was in violation for a year once…😲
Luckily, I ended up with a great bike, and have added to the stable, so it’s easier now. 👍🏼

Today I finally got a replacement derailleur for the Shimano Tourney put on the Mongoose. It’s an inexpensive Sunrace, but it fits, and the quality appears to be better than what I am running. Best of all it was only 20 bucks.

It’s too late for a test right now but I’ll find out how it works tomorrow morning.

I drove past the antique store in town today and they still had the ladies 1930s Rollfast tanker for sale. The first ideas on my sketches were for cutting up this bike, but I thought $500 was too much money.

Now the bicycle has not sold after many months, so maybe he will reduce the price to something I might consider.

That would certainly be a radical change for this thread.

My wife won’t let me touch her bikes except tune-ups and general maintenance. of course they’re high-quality factory bikes.

If it wasn’t for me, nobody would touch my wife’s bicycle ever, and it would be a filthy pile of rust and rotten rubber.
In 32 years I have not seen her pick up a rag to wipe the dirt off of it one time.

To put this in perspective, she has a fancy collection of spotless knickknacks that she polishes and dusts frequently.

One of the reasons that I asked her to marry me was that she was a good housekeeper.

I should’ve asked to look at her bicycle.

:bigsmile:

I did some riding today with the Sunrace derailleur, and it works OK, but I don’t think it’s any sturdier than the Shimano Tourney.

At least the price was right.

If it wasn’t for me, nobody would touch my wife’s bicycle ever, and it would be a filthy pile of rust and rotten rubber.
In 32 years I have not seen her pick up a rag to wipe the dirt off of it one time.

:bigsmile:

I see such bikes every time I go to the supermarket, and think that maybe one of those will one day be worth $500.

Latest posts

Back