A MOUNTAIN RAT BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometimes, projects just fall in your lap at the right time. Last year, I found my 59’ Schwinn frame at the Cool Bikes Club swap meet, which was right at the start of the build off. This time, my apartment complex decided to get rid of all bike racks. Any bikes that weren’t removed would be at the dumpsters. I made a round and didn’t see much I was interested in, but the 29” wheels caught my eye. Wound up being a Wally World bike, mostly unridden. No seat or post, but complete otherwise. Also found a Schwinn women’s mountain bike, missing the front wheel. Fair entry level mountain bikes and they were free. I came across a couple of BMX bikes, and removed some handlebars and some other good bits. Then I thought this would be a nice big boy BMX/Mountain Bike mashup. Time to clean it up, mock up some alternative bars and learn a bit about derailer’s. The satin black finish will be a nice canvas for some bright colors. I may sew up some custom pads for the bars and frame. This is build-off #4 for me. Always fun!
IMG_2978.jpeg
IMG_2973.jpeg
IMG_2972.jpeg
IMG_2954.png

Last edited:
If you go this route, I suggest you change the "S" to a "R" on the downtube. :D
It will be a GAS!!!!

1682996377290.png

Took the evening last night to clean up the bike. Not a scratch on the bike. Looks to be assembled and rode very little. Being this was a Walmart bike, it was poorly assembled. The
IMG_2988.jpeg
brake up front is out of alignment and bends the disc when the brake is engaged. The rear wheel is very sloppy. Hopefully I can get things cinched up where the wheel won’t slap around, otherwise I may have end up donating this bike back to the garbage can. It also has a rusted chain which is causing the chain derailer to act up. This could very well be a DNF build.
IMG_2991.jpeg
IMG_2990.jpeg

SHP, as you shared, this was Wally-built. Bearing adjust on rear wheel, new chain, front brake caliper alignment and you might be good to go!

Let me know if I can assist in any of the above, via video or otherwise.

Great bar choice whichever way you go with the build direction!

If this one doesn't work out you cold always build a dirt jumper with the donor frame. With a little paint it might be cool.
good idea! That might be a nice plan B. Definitely decided on paint if I get it rideable. I found the paint to match my Jeep TJ. It’s a light khaki metallic, and comes in aerosol form.
IMG_7470.jpeg
IMG_3004.jpeg

SHP, as you shared, this was Wally-built. Bearing adjust on rear wheel, new chain, front brake caliper alignment and you might be good to go!

Let me know if I can assist in any of the above, via video or otherwise.

Great bar choice whichever way you go with the build direction!
Thank you for the offer of assistance. I’m going to start with the rear wheel over the next couple of days. Hopefully I can handle the issues there. The disc brake and caliper is new to me. I’ll post some video of what it is doing. The wheel definitely needs alignment in the fork, and then I can assess those issues. I haven’t spent any money on the thing yet. I have a seat post on its way. Which will put me in at around 10 dollars.

I got the Mongoose freestyle bike bars mocked up with a BMX stem I happened to already have. Also, I have this old Persons bmx style seat that I may use. If feels good to get a few parts out of boxes and on to bikes. I have another stem in mind. The handlebars will be a little crowded feeling with the brake levers and shift mechanisms attached, but I will enjoy the new riding position. I’ve never liked mountain bikes, due to the riding position over the front portion of the bike. Seat post will be here tomorrow, then I will start working on the sloppy rear wheel.
IMG_3008.jpeg
IMG_3005.jpeg
IMG_3006.jpeg
IMG_3010.png
IMG_3007.jpeg

The handlebars will be a little crowded feeling with the brake levers and shift mechanisms

??? couldn't you say run one off these? Bicycle Shifter Brake Lever Combo SET, Mountain Bike
[img[https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RZkAAOSwTDhiU67X/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

s-l1600.jpg

img_20170319_16113158de9489de.jpg

or grip shifters and brake levers.

or just extend the bars longer. to get more room.
6061 Aluminum extensions, custom sizing available, will come sized @ .740 ID for standard cromo BMX bars unless you specify otherwise. Two styles available:

REMOVABLE design available for lengths UP TO 1.25" per side. Can be transplanted to your new bike if you desire. 1/2" 3/4" 1" shown:
img_20161224_1811545868950150.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03349.JPG
    DSC03349.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03348.JPG
    DSC03348.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600 (62).jpg
    s-l1600 (62).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The handlebars will be a little crowded feeling with the brake levers and shift mechanisms

??? couldn't you say run one off these? Bicycle Shifter Brake Lever Combo SET, Mountain Bike
[img[https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RZkAAOSwTDhiU67X/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

s-l1600.jpg

img_20170319_16113158de9489de.jpg

or grip shifters and brake levers.

or just extend the bars longer. to get more room.
6061 Aluminum extensions, custom sizing available, will come sized @ .740 ID for standard cromo BMX bars unless you specify otherwise. Two styles available:

REMOVABLE design available for lengths UP TO 1.25" per side. Can be transplanted to your new bike if you desire. 1/2" 3/4" 1" shown:
img_20161224_1811545868950150.jpg
Very good ideas! If I fall in love with this bike, I may end up doing the brake lever/shifter upgrade. There is room for everything on the new handlebars, just a bit crowded with the cross bar. It actually looks pretty tough. The quality of the sum of the parts is just not there, to spend much money on this bike. The de-railer sucks, crank has a wobble, front caliper brake needs some work, rusted chain and some other rust to clean up. Both wheels need trued. It was donated to the dumpster and I scooped it up. So far I have spent ten bucks for a seat post and that is it. If I can make it through each part and make it all functional, this should be a nice bike. With the slop in the wheel bearings, I know I will be disassembling the hubs to actually grease them. Something Walmart fails to do. Thank you for your input!👊🏻

Latest posts

Back