A MOUNTAIN RAT BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I am confused. To loosen the BB turn the drive side clockwise and the non drive side anti-clockwise. Sounds like that is what you did? That should be normal no? And I think those bearings in the picture are correct. I think your bike was assembled correctly. Other than the lack of grease.

Either way, just keep pressing forward. We all learn by experience.

Maybe I am confused. To loosen the BB turn the drive side clockwise and the non drive side anti-clockwise. Sounds like that is what you did? That should be normal no? And I think those bearings in the picture are correct. I think your bike was assembled correctly. Other than the lack of grease.

I remember being slightly surprised by this as well, because most of my bikes have the crank and lever welded on...

I may have not posted pics properly of the issue. The bearings should have opposed faces. When I removed the spindle, I noticed that the bearing were facing the same direction. It reminded me, that I noticed the left crank arm appeared to not be seated properly when I found the bike. Some photos below. There is apparent wear from the ball bearing retainer rubbing on the spindle. This first pic is how I found the BB. The second pic is the way I think the bearings should face. Note that I only flipped the bearing on the stationary cup side. Being that I removed the stationary cup on the drive side, and it needed to turn clockwise to remove, this frame has me boggled. I’ll get it worked out.💪🏻
IMG_3152.jpeg
IMG_3154.jpeg

Either way, just keep pressing forward. We all learn by
As @LukeTheJoker said, that second photo of the BB spindle and bearings is correct. The cups and lock nuts / rings always are threaded in the direction of the pedal action; so 'right is tight' on the drive side, and 'left is correct' on the non-drive side. Same with the pedal mounts on the cranks. Otherwise with the pedaling action and leverage, the pedals and cranks would loosen up.

For the bearings, we have a saying, "Balls out" for the bottom bracket, and "balls in" for the headset bearings.

It's just fun to say 'balls'.

Matti, that was a exclamation that my Uncle Ellwood uttered as kind of a spoken frustration; his version of a 4-letter word, with one extra letter. Actual 4 letter words were verboten in my grandma's puritanical household. Unless they were uttered by my grandpa, usually in Swedish or Norwegian. :grin:

Latest posts

Back