A MOUNTAIN RAT BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I found this bike by the trash a few weeks ago, it looked like it was only needing a seat and seat post. After cleaning it up, it looked as if it was hardly ridden. Actually, it was ridden hard! Maybe only once. It needed everything. This is my first mountain bike, and I had very little to contribute to this build, from the parts stash. So I decided to spare what I could from the bike and build it up with better parts. Derailleurs are the only items left of the shopping list, unless I clean up what came with the bike. Almost ready to build.
IMG_3199.jpeg

I believe that is the year that this paint became available through this company. @Ride 'em High I’ll die laughing if the can is that old. I have new spray caps coming so we will see soon. Color match paint is expensive in any quantity. Suppose to be made to order. The companies are hit and miss on quality, paint types and hitting the paint code correctly. I ordered a pint from another company to spay through a gun, but they didn’t match the color code. They promptly returned my money and I have a real nice metallic grey to use on something. I will test the paint on my bars, then see if it matches my Jeep. This company had decent reviews. This bike will be a “go with” to compliment my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
IMG_7474.jpeg

Glad to see you are working through all of the parts issues that have arisen from the wally world special. Hopefully it's all "downhill" from hear.

Thanks for checking it out @kingfish254. Not how I wanted to build this bike but it’s getting what it needs. If/when it’s all put together and the frame ends up being a dud, I’ll hunt down a more deserving skeleton for all of the new parts. Looking for a higher performance front shock but needs a 1” thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking it out @kingfish254. Not how I wanted to build this bike but it’s getting what it needs. If/when it’s all put together and the frame ends up being a dud, I’ll hunt down a more deserving skeleton for all of the new parts. Looking for a higher performance front shock but needs a 1” thread.
you do know? they make turned down on a lath / slimed down. 1 1/8 threadless sealed bearing head sets. you can buy (roughly $45.00 $50.00 shipped. that fit/ press in to 1" threaded Walmart type frames. so you can run a nice 1 1/8 thread less fork / stem combo..

you do know? they make turned down on a lath / slimed down. 1 1/8 threadless sealed bearing head sets. you can buy (roughly $45.00 $50.00 shipped. that fit/ press in to 1" threaded Walmart type frames. so you can run a nice 1 1/8 thread less fork / stem combo..
Cool! Thanks for the info! That will give me some better options when I go to upgrade! 💪🏻✌🏻

I hope the paint is a good match this time, and really looking forward to seeing the BMX pads get made!
Another strike out with the paint. Basically the same mix I received from another company. No khaki at all! I have one other option. That is a paint that you can get from the auto stores. It’s not a match but similar, and always comes up when I search PJC light khaki metallic. Probably take 3 cans since they are smaller. Another 45$ in paint. I may just shoot what I got. I’ll pick a can up to test out.
IMG_3267.jpeg
IMG_3268.png
IMG_3266.jpeg

Another strike out with the paint. Basically the same mix I received from another company. No khaki at all! I have one other option. That is a paint that you can get from the auto stores. It’s not a match but similar, and always comes up when I search PJC light khaki metallic. Probably take 3 cans since they are smaller. Another 45$ in paint. I may just shoot what I got. I’ll pick a can up to test out. View attachment 234647View attachment 234649View attachment 234648
The Jeep may have started with a lighter primer and it looks like you may have dusted it once (?) The black coming through may be throwing you off. Auto paint jobs usually take multiple coats. I wouldn't give up just yet. You could wipe that of with denatured alcohol and prep it a color closer to the topcoat, like a dark cream.

Last edited:
Ride em High is right on target ^^ . Your under coat (primer / base coat) has everything to do with the top coat tint and depth and hue. Try a brighter (silver) base underneath if you want it to come out lighter, or a tinted color in that color scheme (like the cream color @Ride 'em High mentions) on some under the chainstay area that you can clean off and start over on without it being too obvious.

I sprayed a small puddle on some light card stock, and there is no khaki pigment in the paint @Ride 'em High @OddJob. It’s a nice looking paint though. Going to try one more paint out. Whatever the outcome, I’m moving on.
Paper absorbs. You're trying to skip a few steps. Try light colored, well surfaced metal. A puddle won't give you even color like dusting after dusting after dusting will. Maybe it's the light but I think your own work shows this in the area you hit better
234804-IMG-3267.jpeg
It's being a metallic there is likely little or no pigmentation in the emulsification, rather the flakes themselves are colored, and that is a very fine fleck. Which means there is a proportionate amount of clear between the little flecks of color. The color underneath shows through until you coat it over and over to your liking. I hate to see a promising product go to waste. It looks super smooth in comparison to off-the-shelf brands. But I'm sure we're all being overly meticulous with our babies.

Last edited:
It's being a metallic there is likely little or no pigmentation in the emulsification, rather the flakes themselves are colored, and that is a very fine fleck. Which means there is a proportionate amount of clear between the little flecks of color. The color underneath shows through until you coat it over and over to your liking. I hate to see a promising product go to waste. It looks super smooth in comparison to off-the-shelf brands. But I'm sure we're all being overly meticulous with our babies.
This kinda stuff is why I'm here. The content shared on this site has value. So pay up you slackers hahahahahahahahahahah.

Latest posts

Back