A new build from a noob builder (cruiser content & questions)...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only concern is the different diameter of the Nexus 7-speed hub. Is there a particular length of spoke you can choose or do you have to cut them individually? That's the part that bothers me.
There are online spoke calculators that will tell you what size spoke to order. This is just one of them that is pretty simple if you have the numbers you need.

https://bikeschool.com/resources/spoke-calculator
This one has a database of hubs and rims to get you the numbers, but I usually measure the hub myself and look to the manufacturer to get the "ERD" (Effective Rim Diameter). I've measured that myself before too and it worked. The pages with the calculations will give descriptions of what these numbers are.

https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/
You can order spokes in any length you want though be aware that sometimes changing the requested length by 1mm can change the price significantly. I've ordered them a touch long before to get a price break. I'm guessing it has to do with "standard" lengths vs custom lengths.

Keeping on the subject of rims... can people list suppliers in the EU?

I've found plenty via Google but odd sizes, particularly 26" with wider sizes, has been hard to find.

Hey Wildcat. Thanks for posting those pictures, it's great to get a visual impression of what different rims look like with the tire width I'm probably going with. I love the overall look of your yellow cruiser & those last brown walls look perfect on that particular frame. Very cool, although the rims would be a tad too large for me. I guess, like you say, around the mid 50mm ballpark looks ideal.
Colour obviously makes a difference too. The red rims stand out much more than the wider black ones, even though they're a good deal narrower.

....and Captain Awesome, that link has made me realise that building wheels may not be that daunting. I'm pretty good with my hands & love stuff that's almost meditative in process (the way you calmly repeat each step). I could really get into it, and save a fair chunk of cash.
My only concern is the different diameter of the Nexus 7-speed hub. Is there a particular length of spoke you can choose or do you have to cut them individually? That's the part that bothers me.

EDIT - I'm struggling to find any 26" rims (in the EU) in slightly wider sizes - around 1.5" would be ideal.
They're either slim or super fat. All the good widths come on 29" wheels which are too big.
"My only concern is the different diameter of the Nexus 7-speed hub. Is there a particular length of spoke you can choose or do you have to cut them individually? That's the part that bothers me."
You can lace in a different pattern, 2, 3, or 4 cross that will use a different length spoke. I reuse spokes from one wheel to another as long as the length is fairly close. If it's too long, the end can be ground off once the wheel is laced up. If it's too short then it won't be strong enough, but a couple millimeters won't matter as long as plenty of threads are used.
I use a calculator to determine spoke length. I switch the cross pattern to see if the spokes I have or can get are compatible.
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

Off on a tangent but 2 pretty alarming things have happened over the last 36 hours.

Firstly, 2 bikes were stolen from the back of our apartment block. It's dark & private but not secure at all. Anyone can walk around the back & snoop around & at the moment the security light isn't working. Not good!! I'll be keeping my new build locked up in the basement.
Funnily enough, my current ride hasn't been touched & it's been locked outside for the last 3 years. Thieves, in these parts anyway, are looking for bikes with expensive parts. Mountain bikes & racers are fair game but old city bikes (and unglamorous cruisers?) aren't so attractive, particularly if they're made of steel.

The other thing...I finally worked out what's causing the problem with my back wheel. The axel has a clean break towards the drive side! I'm not sure when it happened, or how dangerous it is but it's officially incapacitated! I foolishly fiddled around without checking a tutorial video first & several greasy bearings fell out. I could've salvaged an axel of an old MTB wheel I have but the wheel & cassette on the cruiser are pretty worn out anyway so I've ordered a new front & back wheel, already loaded with a fresh 6-speed cassette. I've a feeling this will make a HUGE difference, especially if I upgrade the derailleur (which isn't much of an expense, in the grand scheme of things).
I've been using my wife's Dutch city bike for the last 2 days & it's just weird. I'm sat so tall & the handlebars are way too narrow. I can appreciate the alignment of my hips & knees though. A much more efficient way to ride than my slouchy, laid back cruising. Heheheheh!
This has made me realise the important of a backup bike so I'm doing what I said I wouldn't do & ploughing a bit more cash into it to keep it roadworthy.

....sorry to go off topic but I prefer to ramble in my own thread, rather than someone elses... :)

Last edited:
I think today's the day I pull the trigger on everything.

The couple who run the online store that hold the bulk of my order are sick & won't be working on much over the next few weeks. Although this was frustrating news at first, now that I've watch the "No BS..." video & seen the other links above, I'm quietly confident that I can build thee wheels myself.

All that remains now is to decide on rims (at least, what I can get my hands on at the moment). I'm a little tempted to wait & see if place get re-stocked but I'm also itching to get things moving.

Question... The 26" tires I'm buying are 66mm wide. Which rims would be more sensible, 57mm or 32mm wide?

This is the 32mm rim
This is the 57mm rim

Anything glaringly wrong with them? The bike will have disc brakes.

EDIT - I just checked back & this has already been covered, suggesting that I should be using a rim closer to 40mm.
The trouble is, there nothing available....oh, except for a 400€ carbon rim!!! Yeah, right!

Last edited:
PART ORDERED!!

3G Newport Frame
Handlebars
Stem
Forks
Seatpost
Bottom bracket
Crank set + pedals
7-speed internal hub + twist shift
Chain

As I'm not 100% sure about the 57mm rim I'm going to buy the 32mm one & take things from there.
I've given up finding something inbetween. All the 40mm rims I've found are larger than 26" in diameter.
I may even downsize the tire a little bit, going for something closer to 2" wide, so it sits well with the narrower rim.

PARTS LEFT TO BUY...

Brooks grips (for twist shift gears)
Disc brakes & levers
Seat
Lights
26" rims + spokes
Brownwall tires

* If anybody fancies changing my mind, please post some pictures of 26" wheels with black 57mm rims, preferably on a cruiser *
* I did a search yesterday & saw some fantastic & bizarre builds but I'm sure there's more eye candy out there! *

So, here we are...

Parts Collection.jpg

I still need to calculate my spoke lengths, front & back.
Plus I'll need a chain guard, some little reflectors for the pedals & some lights.

It's definitely starting to look like a bike now. Ha!!

Latest posts

Back