A Non-mountain Biker's Confession

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got the mountain bike thing. Too old for that kind of physical strain. The other day someone posted a video and after I viewing it I stumbled onto this video. The link shows a guy named Kilian Bron racing in an Inka Avalanche. He lets the whole field go, it looks like 100s of riders. Then he starts and methodically picks off every one of them. I've been a traditional motorsports gear head my whole 6+ decades on the planet. This race is as exciting as almost anything I've ever seen. I think I'm starting to get it.
2022 Inka Avalanche, Kilian Bron

Last edited:
Very cool video, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed.
From your description, I was expecting to see him ACTUALLY methodically picking off every one of the other riders by running into them or kicking their bikes down. Sort of like MMAMTB. :D

Very cool video, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed.
From your description, I was expecting to see him ACTUALLY methodically picking off every one of the other riders by running into them or kicking their bikes down. Sort of like MMAMTB. :D
Sorry for the lack of anticipated carnage. There are a couple that wipe out just from the pressure of Bron coming up behind them.

They run these type of races all over many times they'll refer to them as megavalanche. Sometimes snow, sometimes just straight shale fields, who knows

I did a search for more about Bron and found videos of him on ice and riding inside ice caves.

He lets the whole field go, it looks like 100s of riders. Then he starts and methodically picks off every one of them.
That unintentionally happened the last time I did a group ride (maybe 25 or so) on full suspension, save two riders at the front who I was content with just hanging behind for the last 1/4 mile or so. Choosing your pass points wisely and trusting that the other riders have at least a modicum of skill is essential. I don't care for group rides in the dirt anymore and consider more than four people a crowd in the backcountry. As soon as my transportation issues are cured, I'll be spending a lot more time wandering around in uncrowded dirt.

That unintentionally happened the last time I did a group ride (maybe 25 or so) on full suspension, save two riders at the front who I was content with just hanging behind for the last 1/4 mile or so. Choosing your pass points wisely and trusting that the other riders have at least a modicum of skill is essential. I don't care for group rides in the dirt anymore and consider more than four people a crowd in the backcountry. As soon as my transportation issues are cured, I'll be spending a lot more time wandering around in uncrowded dirt.
Wow, the video link you posted was good too. I felt bad the guy had a puncture and lost his rear brake.

I imagine for every person who rides at that level there are a thousand who just get out there and enjoy nature alone or with a couple friends.

Wow, the video link you posted was good too. I felt bad the guy had a puncture and lost his rear brake.

I imagine for every person who rides at that level there are a thousand who just get out there and enjoy nature alone or with a couple friends.
I think Captain Awesome posted the video of that madness.

From what I see, there are at least four thousand who ride to be stylish and/or be seen for every person who rides at that level. They tend to permeate trails closest to metro areas, riding the same trails over and over, only leaving their bubble on rare ocasions to ride on marquee trails in order add a checkmark to their bucket lists. I love these people because they are programmed to be so predictable and easy to avoid. They keep my bike shop friends in business too, what's not to love about that?

Latest posts

Back