A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Wildcat was right….. the cotter pins tapped right out of the proper rat rod:

The crank arms…. Not so much
6E80EA9A-FAF5-45C4-B842-DCB012248B91.jpeg
FBF577A0-565A-44B3-8137-5C7CC690C717.jpeg

So…. This thing is A LOT of work!

Slow steady progress.

I have this guy almost 100% stripped to bare bones.

@Wildcat was mostly right: I put the other crank arm back on and got the other arm and chainring off

My neighbor saved the day with 2 huge pipes for leverage as I could get the crank arm to spin, it definitely wasn’t ‘tapping’ off with a hammer!

All good and in a really good spot for some ‘faux-Tina’ and some fresh decals:
361C41DC-4D3A-44B0-8956-7E96B1910990.jpeg
0BCA28B7-3A75-4D87-BF9A-9788720B0EF2.jpeg

And, I was really scratching my head here: the cotter pins removed from the proper RR are different than the ones in the green bike:

I guess that’s why the pins in place looked so odd….. they’re completely different sized pins:
1C173020-C78F-4094-84F3-2A6C04541754.jpeg

Finally, my neighbor had this!

-he tried to give it to me, but I insisted on giving him a few bucks for it!
View attachment 234351
Hahaha how dorky are we, getting all excited about old oil cans. But I remember getting all excited when I found an old tin 3in1 bottle in grandfather in law's garage

The last 2 weeks have been a whirl wind from prom, to softball games, end of school year banquets and ceremonies; had a kid graduate from college…. Getting a bash set up for him and my #3 child who graduates from high school in 2 weeks….. oi vey!

Good onya Jude!
The very definition of Dad Bike!

Those chainwheels are fixed to the crank arm for good. If I remember, there are 12 ball bearings loose in each cup of the BB. That's why I keep one of these in the toolbox:
View attachment 234366
All the headset bearings are uncaged - I had fortunately done some research and when i did the fork swap, I had shallow boxes placed underneath each bike to catch the BBs as they fell and put top and bottom BBs in separate bags for the rebuild.

(I had bikes laying on their side)

I may not totally rebuild the bottom bracket as its super smooth now.

I may just blast it with carb cleaner, lube and ‘work‘ and see what I come up with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back