A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here we go!

I’ll get into more detail on the history of the bike later this week.

It’s an old Raleigh 3 speed and technically already a rat rod!

I wanted to get a poll started and let it soak a week! I’d love your input!!!
0B562A4B-CAE3-4ACA-AE55-37D3CDA1522C.jpeg

I always think of Bicycle Repairman when I see these old Raleighs.

That looks like a cool commuter, do I spy a 3 speed hub?
What's your plans for it?
Thanks Luke! 100%. It’s a Sturmy Archer 3 speed in amazing condition actually. (Don’t let the cables fool you)

I’m going for some funky patina-hybrid-cruiser-cargo-bike type thing…. I’m going to wing it and add or subtract parts by the seat of my pants. I really just want something cool and handy I can use to ride around the lake with my wife!

BTW: that over-the-top muscle bike you did with the car back wheel, banana seat with two tail-lights out the back may be the coolest bike ever built.

I’ve been into Raleigh’s recently. A couple interesting tidbits. The front wheels are laced in an over over over pattern, instead of over over under. I have no idea why. Also, in my opinion, the R nuts are an important part of the build. Looks like you are missing them in the front hub and cotter pins. I’m sure you can pull them off your parts bike. But, be careful. I sent some through the ultrasonic cleaner and the R paint came right off!! Bummer. Don’t hammer the cotter pins. I use a vise.

So, as discussed in some of my other threads, this bike was given to me by a family friend.

Their Father / Grandfather, Bill Thieben had passed away and they didn’t want to just dump or sell the bike as Mr. Thieben rode the bike daily….. for decades, And I think it was pretty special to him.

I offered to restore the bike to all original condition and give it back to any family or extended family who wanted it, but they insisted I have the bike and simply asked that I use and enjoy it, as Bill did.

Mr. Thieben’s story can be found here. (A small summary, anyway)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Thieben
as the bike has a bent fork and has been stripped of about everything original on it, the bike still rides quite nice and is 100% functional as-is!

the biggest challenge of the build I think will be incorporating a bike based on Mr. Thieben’s 6’ 7” NBA frame to my 5’ 7” non NBA frame!

Here we go!
26A96579-4BB1-41A0-8F70-9A06DE92BF96.jpeg
3C3693FE-347F-4380-8F4A-7E50FF7BFCC2.jpeg
7F05E699-7F70-44B8-9476-3A8EC6F6E2AB.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been into Raleigh’s recently. A couple interesting tidbits. The front wheels are laced in an over over over pattern, instead of over over under. I have no idea why. Also, in my opinion, the R nuts are an important part of the build. Looks like you are missing them in the front hub and cotter pins. I’m sure you can pull them off your parts bike. But, be careful. I sent some through the ultrasonic cleaner and the R paint came right off!! Bummer. Don’t hammer the cotter pins. I use a vise.
Thanks for the input! I do have a number of R bolts on the parts bikes.

Quick question: I can’t find a serial number on this thing to save my life! Any idea on what years Raleigh made bikes where the head badge was a decal? There’s no head badge on this thing and no holes that could accommodate one!
38E96F71-4165-49BC-904E-9F046E978B01.jpeg

Not sure about the year. Mine have all had riveted head badges. But there should be a year stamped on the Sturmey archer hub.
Thanks @twojs.bike !

-The Sturmy Archer hub says ‘73, but I’ve seen some other early ‘70s Raleigh’s and they all have metal head badges w/ rivets.

I was researching last night and came across a 30’s Raleigh sports or tourist that looked like it had a decal and not metal head badge.

I’m hoping after a thorough degrease and stern power washing this weekend, I’ll be able to uncover something that will get me closer to an authentic date…. Or range anyways.

I think you have newer wheels. So the SA hub date won't reflect the year of the frame. The serial number is either on the BB or top of the seat tube facing to the rear of the bicycle. There's a lot of info on Raleigh serial numbers, but I can't verify any of them, most people use the SA hub for a date. If you find a number I'll check it out.

Latest posts

Back