A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chain guard on yours had a bracket that wrapped around and pinched in the back
Yup! -I just found one on the women’s sprite I picked up a few weeks ago. (My Fresh finds)

I sort of wanted to keep it on that bike, but the proper rat rod is first priority, so I’ll pluck it off that thing and stick it on the PRR.

If using an r nut on the front make sure the hub is stamped Raleigh because they used sturmey archer to and the threading is different

Hey Jude, you really made a ton of progress on the proper build this weekend!

A couple of those photos with the 'aging', both natural and induced, make me want to see as much of the original patina on this bike in finished form. It could be 'proper' and 'ratty' at the same time! :nerd: :nod::grin:

If I had a photo of the guide for the shift cable on the Sturmey Archer set up, I might have a couple of parts here that you could use.

And…. I got the chain guard off the sprite

I still need to clean it up….
9F961A68-1DA3-4C27-893D-2D8A2DDAD516.jpeg

Hey Jude, you really made a ton of progress on the proper build this weekend!

A couple of those photos with the 'aging', both natural and induced, make me want to see as much of the original patina on this bike in finished form. It could be 'proper' and 'ratty' at the same time! :nerd: :nod::grin:

If I had a photo of the guide for the shift cable on the Sturmey Archer set up, I might have a couple of parts here that you could use.
Thanks OJ: I think I’m good for now!

This thing is turning into quite a task!

I definitely want to (will) save as much of the original patina as possible.

I just wanted to blend that fork and the fender braces so it was clear it was a black bike with green fenders…. And not a green bike with a black frame! :21:

And….. if you look closely at this video, you can see why my chain was getting so snug.

I think whoever got the factory pins out of the crank arms bent the spindle

A big job just got a lot bigger and uglier

I might change the name of this to the proper nightmare.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back