A question for the spray paint experts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How soon after painting some scallops off my head tube can I polish the paint around my paint area? My paint was semi-gloss cRust-Oleum.

As a side note, if anyone is spray painting without a snap-on handle, don’t do it any more. These things are God sent, priced nominally, save you from getting sticky hands and finger tip blisters. I used one for the first time this weekend and I’m never goin’ back.

dc3fp0.gif

sweet! almost bought one but didnt have any extra cash to spare when i was buying the gold paint for my bike. :(

Just curious why you are polishing the paint? I use enamel and it is high gloss when it dries. You can't make it any glossier by polishing, you'd only mess it up. Is that Rustoleum you're using lacquer? Lacquer needs buffed or polished after it dries, which is pretty quick. Enamel takes quite a while between coats or the tape will leave a mark on it. B607

B607 said:
Just curious why you are polishing the paint? I use enamel and it is high gloss when it dries. You can't make it any glossier by polishing, you'd only mess it up. Is that Rustoleum you're using lacquer? Lacquer needs buffed or polished after it dries, which is pretty quick. Enamel takes quite a while between coats or the tape will leave a mark on it. B607

I know I didnt explain it very well. The area I want to polish is directly around the area I painted since I scuffed up the paint a bit with 800 grit so the primer and paint would have better luck sticking. I dont actually want to polish the new paint itself, since I painted it a satin finish purposely, but inevitably the edges of the new paint will get a little polishing them selves. It's an enamel BTW.

Speed, there is a difference between flash time and cure time. While the paint you shot appears dry, the solvents are still gassing out. How long that takes depends on your climate. If you can, bring the frame inside and let it gas out for at least a week. Then, go over it with the finest grit wet sand paper you can get your hands on. Follow that with a good cleaning and a few coats of your favourite clearcoat. If you dont want to clear the whole thing, you could try to spot buff with a fine polishing compound, but either way go slow, you dont want to cut thru your fresh paint.
Hope that helps,
Rick

rick74304 said:
Speed, there is a difference between flash time and cure time. While the paint you shot appears dry, the solvents are still gassing out. How long that takes depends on your climate. If you can, bring the frame inside and let it gas out for at least a week. Then, go over it with the finest grit wet sand paper you can get your hands on. Follow that with a good cleaning and a few coats of your favourite clearcoat. If you dont want to clear the whole thing, you could try to spot buff with a fine polishing compound, but either way go slow, you dont want to cut thru your fresh paint.
Hope that helps,
Rick

Yeah, good info, just what I was looking for, thanks.

I've seen/used gray, white and an ugly yellowish colorored primers in spray cans.

Krylon also has Matte and Satin clears, so maybe you could make any color dull like primer? I havent used to matte myself, but the satin does just what it advertises itself to.

Back