A Tandem, A Wooden-Wheeler, and some Mags...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ran into a guy I know at Goodwill today, I've been friends with his extended family for years, and he mentions he has a few bikes to get rid of. He says "one of them has the old wooden wheels..." that's all I need to hear. I knew from his ex-wife that he was a bit of a hoader (ok, a lot of a hoarder), and I know he has at least some stuff of value, so I'd been wanting to check his place out, so off we went.

The wooden wheeled bike turned out to be a bit of a bust, or rather just busted. Not sure if there's too much useable off of it, but I took it off his hands anyway. Skiptooth and truss fork parts at least, and maybe the wooden rims can be saved (spokes busted everywhere). I haven't measured yet, but the rims look to be 28" or larger:

ed1.jpg

Forgot to mention, it WAS a boys bike that someone converted to a girls... :roll:

ed2.jpg

I'm sure someone can ID this sprocket, or the rear hub:

ed3.jpg

Close-up of the wheel:

ed4.jpg

Next up was a tandem, made by the Ret Bar Cycle company of Sun City AZ:

ed5.jpg

Has some decent heavy duty wheels on it, and it looks kinda cool. I've never messed with a tandem before.

Also picked up thes girls Schwinn Bantam, because it looked like it needed a warm spot to sleep and a bowl of chicken-noodle soup:

ed8.jpg

Thought I'd hit the jackpot on these until I realized they were probably off a moped:

ed9.jpg

ed10.jpg

Grimeca mags with drum brakes. Still desireable, just not what I had hoped when I first saw them. I've seen at least one cool BMX build online that used a pair of them though...stole this picture off of the BMX museum, I think:

grimecabmx.jpg

Anyway, It's worth going back to look when the weather is a little bit better. He had close to a dozen Huffy-type bikes half buried in the side yard, but I left those for the scrapper. If I don't keep them, the mags may pay for the entire haul.

That first bike is probably Snyder built, makers of Rollfast and others. That's definiely their chainring. Too bad about the gender change! :shock: -Adam

Anyway, It's worth going back to look when the weather is a little bit better. He had close to a dozen Huffy-type bikes half buried in the side yard, but I left those for the scrapper. If I don't keep them, the mags may pay for the entire haul.[/quote]

Nice finds, I wouldnt count out the huffy bikes if there from the 70s or older unless there just rusted to pieces

Latest posts

Back