Adding a tank on a tankless bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking for a little bling on my ride and I was wondering if I can add an old tank to my bike. It's a 80's Murray Moterey.
This one
b2874276.jpg

Is there such a thing as a standard size?

As far as a standard size, not that I know of, many cantilever frames are different slightly. What I would do is start by making a plate out of cardboard and trim it to fit in there perfect where you want the tank then cut some wood blocks to form a tank or get some foam board and cover it in fiberglass. to make a tank.

I really like the colors on that bike. 8) You need to find out if ANY Murray Monterays ever came with a tank. If so, you can find one. Putting a tank from another brand of bike on yours would probably be a real long shot. Gary

A nice "plank tank" would look great on that bike... As Uncle Stretch said, just make a template out of cardboard and transfer it across to your wood. Some really nice ones on the site...

Luke.

I made a tank for my old Murray out of aluminum. made a cardboard template. cut two flat sheets from them then folded one strip around to those. Some creatively placed cut's and folds. Then some rivets to hold it all together.

after fab:
DSC03001.jpg

on bike
IMG00240-20100404-1719.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
A nice "plank tank" would look great on that bike... As Uncle Stretch said, just make a template out of cardboard and transfer it across to your wood. Some really nice ones on the site...

Luke.

I'm flattered but I'm not Uncle Stretch. :lol:

make a pice of cardboard that fills the tank area, as mentioned above. get one of the foam sheets they put on the exterior of houses. not the kind that is like a styrofoam cup, but thicker, but the kind the has a texture like a foam twinkie. use the cardboard as a stencil and cut about 8 or 10 or 12 pices of foam sheet in that shape. laminate the sheets together with some gorilla glue. now you have a block shaped like the tank. sand/rasp it to the shape you want. spread body filler over it in a thin layer, and sand smooth. repeat until it's perfect. paint it. ta daa, a beautiful custom tank.

Latest posts

Back