Adding gel to Schwinn S seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My seat had gotten hard as a rock and had lumps to boot, so it was worse than bare metal to ride. I used some foam padding the first time, but there's not much room in that seat, so it never worked out right. The padding has to be good being that thin. I used an old gel seat cover this time.

Seat and discarded gel cover.
1fakjb.jpg

I trimmed the gel pad to fit. I wasn't sure if the gel was liquid, luckily it was solid. I took about 2 inches off the front, the width was just right.
2vwe0ps.jpg

It has to fit snugly so it won't shift as you put the vinyl cover back on.
2s0bsr9.jpg

You insert the front in, then one rear corner, then fight to get that last corner over the pan. I heated the vinyl cover in hot water to get more stretch, but it was still a job.
34y19as.jpg

I take it out for a test ride of 12 miles tomorrow morning.
2r5c57s.jpg

I take my seats and throw them in the oven at 150 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. It makes the covers nice and stretchy. Really eases getting them off the pan. Just takes about 5 minutes to soften the cover by itself to put it back on the pan. Be careful not to burn your fingers!

I didn't get 12 miles on it because of the thunderstorms, but after a few miles it's better than I expected. It's even better than a new original I rode back in the day. Even if I had one with good original padding, I would change it out with a gel pad.

Latest posts

Back