Adjusting the kickstand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me figure out how to adjust this kickstand.

100_6810.JPG

Seems like the internal spring mechanism isn't being stopped all the way. I can rotate the kickstand all the way around.

100_6813.JPG

What is this pin used for and is it adjustable?

100_6811.JPG

Thanks.

100_9570.jpg

if it rotating freely, either the pin in the kickstand is broke/worn out or the triangular wedge piece is broke/worn out. it happens from people leaning on the bike while the kickstand is down most of the time.

if the pin is broke usually the kickstand spring shoots off the kickstand when you remove it.

So, this is what I removed from my Nirve built bike.

100_7025.JPG

Here's a close up of the triangular wedge piece, or collet, as I call it.

100_7030.JPG

So, I'm thinking that the collet is the culprit. However, how does the little pin stay in place? There doesn't seem to be whole for it in the kickstand and the whole in the kickstand bracket tube on the bike is larger than the pin itself.

The little pin fits in the groove of the bushing that is on the other end of the spring from the collet. The pressure from the spring holds it in place. Was there a lot of grease and dirt in the assembly? The sprag (collet) does look worn, but unless it is really worn, the kickstand usually just sags. Maybe if you clean everything up real well and reassemble it it will work properly.

Yes, there was a lot of grease. I cleaned everything up to take the pictures. While it's apart, I might as well replace the collet. I'll probably stop by a LBS to see if they have one, if not then will go the internet route.

Perhaps you are right, I'm not sure if they are the same or not. I have two different sizes of the sprags, but I think they are both made for Schwinns. Let's hope his LBS has what he needs.

you can order the kickstand parts from nirve off their site. go to parts / misc / $10 for the whole shabang (plus shipping)

Back