Age old Wheel building question!! please help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I would invest in some digital calipers and do the actual measurements, the sturmey site specs were wrong on my S2 kickback when I compared the actual measurements to what they listed, I contacted them about the lock nut diameter being different than what was listed on the site and was told by Sturmey some of the models were only available through European suppliers and there is no telling where the web guys got the info.

slowriderz said:
Ok so.... I am trying my hand at a couple new wheels. I cannot seem to come up with a consistent spoke length on any of the calculators that I use. I am sure this question has been beat to death but I just do not want to invest in the wrong spokes. any help would be apprecieted.

Pattern = 3 cross
hub front = http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/2/id/30
hub rear = http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/14
wheel = 24 x 80mm with E.R.D. of 507mm

Links don't work. Which hubs are they?

I built some wheels around some sturmey drum hubs; my measurements were very close to what Sturmey listed on their site. If you're thinking about drum hubs, btw, I'd look at 2cross for 507 erd. The nip angles will be crappy otherwise...

slowriderz said:
The hubs are SA RD3 and SA FDD. Rear drum 3 speed and front drum dynamo. any idea of the spoke length for a 2cross pattern?
Thanks

I can help with the x-fdd for sure; I've got a couple wheels running that hub.

According to edd, if you go 2x with a 507 erd and an x-fdd, you're looking at 221.6 bothe sides; round up to 222.
My wife is running an x-rd3 on her bike; some other guy laced the wheels for me, but it took the same spokes as the x-fdd on her 604erd rim @ 3x. According to edd, going 2x w/ 507erd w/ an x-rd3, you're looking at 221.2 right/223left.
I'd be tempted to try 222s all around...

slowriderz said:
spoke supplier ideas? there are so many ranges in price????? :shock:

What are you looking for in terms of spokes? Color preference? Cheaper, stronger, lighter? Preferred guage?

The thing is, you'll probably have trouble finding that oddball size. I'd call danscomp and see about ordering some sapims in the length you need. Order a few extra, in case you break any, ever. Danscomp sells Sapim 14g for a quarter per spoke, including nipples!!

anytime. Good luck. PS- if you're getting spokes custom cut, you might as well go for 36x222, 18x221m and 18x223... plus a few extras in each size...

Latest posts

Back