Almost Free Nexus 3i

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Scored this near new Next Monterey Bay cruiser with a Shimano Nexus Inter3 for $20.
Oh and a bonus, check out that killer, bolt on baby seat! :cool2:
00A0A_kRIllXJkU8B_600x450.jpg

I've scored something like that before. Turn around and flip the kid seat for $20 and the whole bike is free.

Keep that nexus high and dry! Worst rusting hub I have ever ran into! Not the body but the guts.
Good score, the price is right!

What I've gleaned from reading about the Nexus 3 hubs online is they aren't really sealed. If you live and ride in a wet area, and especially if you are a bike commuter, water will get in them and rust them. I have no first hand experience with the problems. I own some Nexus 3 hubs but I'm not a bike commuter and I don't ride them in the rain or when the roads are very wet. I only ride occasionally when I'm able to get some exercise and get outside some. That and to do small errands in my little town now and then. Like go to the bank, store, village office, neighbors..... type stuff. Therefore they work great for my style riding. I believe Mikeeebikey is a bike commuter and therefore he could probably tell you more about there limitations and problems.

I am really not too concerned. I have a couple sets now, one is the higher end model and is on my MTB. Haven't had any issues.

Nagant is correct, I commute! 15miles a day, or more.
I rode the nexus for about 2 months, when the outside bearing failed. I thought due to rust as I found nothing wrong. I fixed it and put the wife on it, lasted 6 months and broke the same cage......
I have to believe something is amiss with the driver, so I ordered a new one.
I never had that warm fuzzy feeling from it when pedaling, but that could be involved with my problem.
Simple to rebuild, I did clean and regrease, no problems with rusting now!
On used bikes I have scrapped a couple due to rust, most likely were outdoor bikes.

Latest posts

Back