Almost scrap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1186.jpeg
I purchased this last year because it was a 10 dollar springer. Even bent I couldn’t pass up on it. Loved the chain guard and fender color as well.I was riding last years class 2 bike and a friend told me we could do better.

IMG_1795.jpeg
So I sent him this and he was in. We do have to line up a time to get together and start welding things but the plan is just a bit longer and lower than last years huffy. Maybe a head tube angle change Etc. progress may start slow

IMG_1800.jpeg

On my buddy Kevin’s recommendation ground the rear dropout down so the tube would slide over it.
IMG_1798.jpeg

Left a weird gap at the top though, the grinder also tryed to cut my finger off and I dropped it today. -1 safety for holding stuff in one hand and a grinder in the other.
IMG_1799.jpeg

Now add in one cut down all pro 20 inch fork. Anything further happens in Kevin’s shop possibly Sunday depending on how Saturday goes with car projects

IMG_1810.jpeg
Might have got a little carried away adding things.Jeep parts won’t be in until tomorrow so we wasted 3ish hours today. Kevin thought it was too plain just extending it so I went home and got another frame, another rear triangle and some Huffy sprockets
IMG_1812.jpeg
IMG_1809.jpeg
IMG_1813.jpeg
IMG_1912.jpeg
this is back at home. Going back tomorrow to cut the front of the frame and change the head tube angle to hopefully keep it low while using the springer.
IMG_1913.jpeg
IMG_1914.jpeg
IMG_1915.jpeg

I did have to cut this sprocket for chainline. I’ll clean that up tomorrow because I broke my last grinding wheel and didn’t feel like another harbor freight trip.

This frame is now part monark, huffy, Raleigh and some green bike rear triangle I can’t remember what I hacked it off of. Hopefully finish the frame tomorrow! As of right now my plan is grinder/wire wheel and do the frame in bare metal/rust if I don’t give up. Having 4 different bike frames involved made it to many colors

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpeg
    IMG_1814.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
IMG_1221.jpeg
Sometimes having a wagon is handy, did the front today.
IMG_1217.jpeg
Little chop chop
IMG_1219.jpeg
Scrap frame rail for a gusset
IMG_1220.jpeg
The new seat post location, and I’m horrible at progress photos.
IMG_1222.jpeg
This is how it looks mocked up to check for pedal height! Going to spend a bunch of hours trying to strip it to bare metal. Might end up having to build handlebars depending on position but we got 3 months!

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpeg
    IMG_1218.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Plan was to rebuild some wheels for my class one build this evening. But instead I broke out my harbor freight special and a flappy disc!
IMG_1223.jpeg
full bare metal isn’t happening without a sandblaster. I should have planned ahead!
IMG_1226.jpeg
My favorite extra joint on this build. Rear triangle section of some random 10 speed frame.
IMG_1225.jpeg
I still really need to mount my vice!
IMG_1227.jpeg
and home for a while, see if nature will take care of it for me. I did learn I really need to weed eat! Back to class one for a bit while I wait.

IMG_1249.jpeg
One night in the weeds during a thunderstorm just isn’t enough 😂 I need to forget this thing exists for like a month. So onto boring stuff
IMG_1255.jpeg
IMG_1254.jpeg

Simple clean and repack of the bearings, may even keep these old dry rotted whitewalls on it for a bit. This thing won’t be a high speed bike.
IMG_1256.jpeg
For being off an 80s huffy these wheels had clean internals compared to my class 1 wheels.

Likely the last update for a bit on class 2. Nature needs time

Digging the mad max vibe from all the bracing and extra doodad welding.
It will be fun to watch the natural woods aging going on too.

Use the peroxide vinegar spritzer it will speed things up. Also, I've found that pieces of expanded steel look great and add support to stretched frames plus it's easy to compound curve it....

Latest posts

Back