Almost wrapped up until...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya done good there, to me it looked like it had been hit by a car or squashed up against a wall in a garage, a lot of pressure and weight is needed to move a frame that much without denting and breaking it!
the bends all go the same way, come up great!

Thanks Kradus Jr,
I failed to mention that this poor bike took a big hit when I backed into my neighbors truck with the bike on my rear rack.
Taco'ed the front wheel only but who knows? Didn't hurt his truck at all.
AITAH?? hahaha prolly.

I assuuuuumed this is beyond repair. Pacifico for scale.

IMG_3134.JPG

It's a shame really. This would be a very cool bike for someone about 170cm [5'8"] or so.

This was new bike day:
IMG_1515.JPG

The ad:
KSL.JPG

I threw on some BMX bars and took it to work. It looked goofy but rode nice!
IMG_1688.JPG

It will be a unique sled for someone here soon.

Abraço

Last edited:
Thanks Kradus Jr,
I failed to mention that this poor bike took a big hit when I backed into my neighbors truck with the bike on my rear rack.
Taco'ed the front wheel only but who knows: Didn't hurt his truck at all.
AITAH?? hahaha prolly.

I assuuuuumed this is beyond repair. Pacifico for scale.

View attachment 245360

It's a shame really. This would be a very cool bike for someone about 170cm [5'8"] or so.

This was new bike day:
View attachment 245361

The ad:
View attachment 245362

I threw on some BMX bars and took it to work. It looked goofy but rode nice!
View attachment 245363

It will be a unique sled for someone here soon.

Abraço
That doesn't look goofy at all .

Thanks @ingola

A story for ya.

Last April we had trainee motorcycle cops on the jobsite for one full week, . Seriously, like a 60 of them.
IMG_2472.JPG

Out of respect for them I only offer a photo of their mascot bike.

Anyway, one of them calls out to me while I was riding from one end of the project to the other. So I wheel over and he told me my bike was goofy looking.
I'm kinda sensitive about my two-wheeled modes of transport, but hey, cop. So I just smiled and asked him if he wanted to race. Left him eating his cinnamon roll.

That's the great thing about bicycles. And music. There's something for everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks @ingola

A story for ya.

Last April we had trainee motorcycle cops on the jobsite for one full week, . Seriously, like a 60 of them.
View attachment 245364

Anyway, one of them calls out to me while I was riding from one end of the project to the other. So I wheel over and he told me my bike was goofy looking.
I'm kinda sensitive about my two-wheeled modes of transport, but hey, cop. So I just smiled and asked him if he wanted to race. Left him eating his cinnamon roll.

That's the great thing about bicycles. And music. There's something for everyone.
He knows nothing cinnamon buns need to be fresh and warmed up can't do that there

Thanks @ingola

A story for ya.

View attachment 245364

is that one of their old bikes they used to use! and its just a mascot now, I always thought USA Police got around on harleys, or do they mix n match them now, here in aussie they have all sorts, unmarked fireblade's, highway pursuit R1's all set up to chase and go real fast!then they have the more visible normal bikes like the big BMW cruisers and stuff! they do the same with the cars here as well, kia stingers, AMG merc's, they even used SRT chrysler 300, these came about after Ford and holden returned back to the USA, when they were still made here a few yrs ago they had the holdens and fords pimped up to over 550HP for highway pursuit. they looked cool too, big fat wheels lowered etc and worked motors. they had racing type paintjobs as well! made to stick out like a set of dogs..be seen from a mile away.
this cars quite old now but it was a special one tuned by aussie racing legend Dic# Johnson, ford motoring legend down under,
its a ford falcon GT-F boasting a whopping 800hp or 600KW, it was 1 of 3 tuned by racing shops to target young hoon drivers trying to emulate the "fast n furious" franchise on local roads! this one is special though and most pursuit cars today are 600hp +
Nowadays like I said its all merc's and kia turbos, then they have hyundai sonata, mum n dad cars for the local police in the suburbs LOL,
But all cop cars here are modified and go just that much better than standard cars. if you can pick up a good one for sale they are great fast cars but usually have been flogged on a regular basis by the coppers LOL.
Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 3.15.21 pm.png

If it was for me? the BMX bars. for Retail, low risers?

All opinions welcome. Can't seem to get a handle on what sells. lol

GT bars (stamped), amazon stem.
IMG_4696.jpg

Or Rocky Mountain stem, Bontrager crowbars?
IMG_4694.jpg

The solutions simple, take two lots of pics, offer both set ups to the buyer, price accordingly or the same, up to you but it would give a small customization of the sale, the buyer may be intrigued, I doubt any buyer would be turned off by the offer of 2 set ups.

I'd ride it either way, but Bontrager and Rocky Mountain sell it more for me than GT does. Plus, as Ingola said, those bars are useful for a rider of your stature. Also, lower the seat a little for me, would you?
Now he's after your parts to

The challenge (in the US at least) is finding the right combination of "small parts" to make a internal gear hub work on your frame.
The parts lists provided by Sun Race Sturmey-Archer, at least for their more recent hubs, are hard to decipher because they cover every conceivable bike frame without helping to figure out how they apply to YOUR bike frame.
For example, I have this nice RXL-RD3 rear hub with a drum brake.

This is from their latest catalog dated 2017-2018
1692201815031.png

The Redline has "reversed" dropouts and the catalog lists the matching fulcrum lever and non-turn washers. Critical items to make the hub fit properly on this frame.
1692202065079.png

However if you go to the parts list provided on their site for this hub, you'll find this:
1692202266253.png

Problem is that this is NOT correct. Look at the axle, it shows the old "indicator" shifter when my actual hub uses a fulcrum lever [Cassette Joint on a Shimano Nexus]. The correct axle and associated parts can be found on a different hub the XL-RD3 [only 70mm].

1692202534847.png

There's also the SA "special tools" that are often hard to find.
Like this little guy for correctly installing the fulcrum lever to the hub.

1692202737563.png

There are awesome resources for the old SA hubs but it's hard to find solid info on the newer stuff.
Sadly I don't know that there is a strong enough market in the US for SA to fully support their products here.

Ok, I'm done whining for now. Back to it.

The challenge (in the US at least) is finding the right combination of "small parts" to make a internal gear hub work on your frame.
The parts lists provided by Sun Race Sturmey-Archer, at least for their more recent hubs, are hard to decipher because they cover every conceivable bike frame without helping to figure out how they apply to YOUR bike frame.

View attachment 245825

The Redline has "reversed" dropouts and the catalog lists the matching fulcrum lever and non-turn washers. Critical items to make the hub fit properly on this frame.
View attachment 245826
However if you go to the parts list provided on their site for this hub, you'll find this:
View attachment 245827

Problem is that this is NOT correct. Look at the axle, it shows the old "indicator" shifter when my actual hub uses a fulcrum lever [Cassette Joint on a Shimano Nexus]. The correct axle and associated parts can be found on a different hub the XL-RD3 [only 70mm].

View attachment 245828

View attachment 245829

There are awesome resources for the old SA hubs but it's hard to find solid info on the newer stuff.
Sadly I don't know that there is a strong enough market in the US for SA to fully support their products here.

Sturmey archer parts have never really changed that much especially the aw and it varients. Most info will work. Especially indicator chains and pawls

View attachment 245825

View attachment 245826
View attachment 245827

View attachment 245828

View attachment 245829

IMG_1848.gif

Back