Am I about to bend the rules to far?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s more about your own integrity and how you want to conduct yourself. I’m just being very open about my build and my intention. I’m putting my ideas out to the group so that I can get a general consensus before I move forward. I think it would be unfair for all parties involved if I did whatever I wanted by just bolting on item because by the end I would have two completely different bikes. The unfairness being that I think I’m skirting the edges of the roles are not welding. And then other competitors would disagree with me because they would say I’ve modified the bike to much.

It's obvious you have no clue what I was saying. As I can see why is you just starting here so you don't know the history of "rule bending". Nor the lack of being dealt with.

Your right this is my first time here and I’ve never been on a forum like this before. I wasn’t having a stab at you or trying to get off on the wrong foot with you. I was merely stating the way I interpreted the rules, what’s important to me and my values. If I came across in any other way I apologise that was not my intention. As for whatever has happened in the past events I can’t comment on that but I can only hope that nothing carries forward and we are all judge on a even playing feild. Our builds are what is important and they should be judge impartial to the person that built them. It probably would be good to know what the judges are looking for, so everything is transparent and we can see how they come to there decision. Hopefully at the end it’s not a popularity contest because that defeats the purpose of the build off. I think the most important take away is that everyone just enjoys their build, the process and be proud of their end result. I’m grateful for finding this comp as it has kick me into gear and made me see that building a bike from the ground up is an achievable dream.

There are no "Judge".. this isn't a bicycle show. It is a bicycle build off.

Your question was legit & to answer your title/ question:
The things Your talking about doing,, Are within the rules for class 1
Class 1: Traditional Builds
This class is for builds using a factory manufactured frame and forks. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that you’re frame modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2.

There are no judges and it is a popularity contest. Everyone is adamant that they don’t care about votes but that voting must be loose enough so that everyone goes home with at least one. If you’re worried that Class 2 will eat your lunch, trust me, Class 1 will eat it too. Just build a bike, participate in some other threads, and cross the finish line a few months from now. Forget about ”winning” or “placing” and just enjoy the ride.

furyus

For me, the word "welding" is everything. That just puts it in another category. I can't make the magic sparkle fairies stick things together, but I have wrenches. I want to see you push the limits of the category, that's why I'm saying it fits in class One. Don't for a minute think that class One is low class

The chrome cruiser on blue rubber, and the green/black? BMX with front disk: I NEED MORE!!!

*disk and a u brake, are you sure those aren't stock? Haha

Aussie specific explains a lot. Couldn't recognize either, and they're both really good looking builds. The disk brake is making me feel...

Is it really any different than using a suspension frame and replacing the shock with a solid strut? I don't see why that wouldn't be okay in class 1 (I believe it has been done before). Bolt on drop out extensions have been done many times before, and some of them could be called pro level fabrication...but, anyone can bolt them on.

I'm glad that you feel that way. That's exactly what I'm doing to Edgelord. :happy:

Latest posts

Back