amazon.com sued for discrimination

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just saw it on the news. Amazon to pay almost half a million dollars for discriminating against residents of Puerto Rico. According to the news they offer free shipping on purchases over $25 to all residents of the lower 48, hawaii and alaska but not to residents on puerto rico. They are currently be in charge $10,000 a day while they decline to fix their policy.

Don't understand why they have this attitude since shipping to puerto rico is the same as shipping to any other state via usps.

I think it has to do with lack of knowledge. Back in 1996 when I was in the army and stationed in Washington state I went to apply for a loan. The woman taking my information had never seen or known anybody from puerto rico. She asked me what type of money was used in puerto rico. I told her they were called dollars. She said, wow they are called just like here. I said, that's because the same U.S. dollars are used. She was like, wow when did that happen. I said, 100 years ago! She didn't believe me and thought I was kidding. By the way she approved the loan so I forgave her for the lack of knowledge!

Most people don't know that back then every state had their own money including puerto rico. Meaning that the dollar bills had the name of the state from where it was. Back then puerto rico had two type of currencies, the dollar and the peso until 1908 I think. I'll have to check the book. Drifting into currency talk but I also like collecting old money, sorry! Up to this date most people call a dollar a peso. Its an old habit!

They are a large business, there's no way they just didn't like Puerto Rico and didn't offer the same shipping. There must be some extra fee or tax to ship there. Their marketing dept wouln't let that business get away.

I just checked USPS shipping for a box like I send frames in. It's about 4 dollars more to PR than in the continental states, $21 instead of $17. Same box is $26 to Hawaii.

Latest posts

Back