Ambulance Chaser: Schwinn High-Rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35233

Deactivated account
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first design assembled years ago by David Perry, author of Bike Cult, to whom I am ever grateful for helping me down this path.
IMG_5816.jpeg

Last edited:
Builds are the catch-all for anything people build. Whatever you throw together, weld, bolt, glue, ......

We also have the from scratch sub forum for stuff made from absolute scratch. Tubes, pipes, 2x4's, etc......

It all started with a Schwinn World Tourist. I couldn't find a banana seat to compliment the paint, bright in the light and dark at night. I acquired goat leather with a leopard print and had enough for two. I doubled up on that flimsy cushion (visible behind).
bikeOne_0.jpeg

I made one in each length.
Furry_banana_Seats.jpeg

As you can see light makes all the difference
GoatLeather_BananaSeat.jpeg

The shorter seat forced the angle of the sissybar to be more vertical and I felt it clashed with the laidback angle of the apehangers so I went long. I'd have liked even more of an angle. This is what it looked like fresh out the lab. Dark in low light...
IMG_1511.jpeg

I got some woodie fenders for that old auto feel and pedals with wood where reflectors should be. I thought about a faux raccoon tail figured too much fuzz was overkill.
IMG_1512.jpeg

I ended up cracking that frame hopping out of a drainage ditch, which sucked, but it sure was fun beating it up.
Schwinn_frameCracked.jpg

This frame was switched out for the one that appears atop this thread. By that time I'd worn away the goat hair leaving a nice, but less desirable, brown leather beneath and the cushion wasn't cutting it so I re-upholstered this one with a Vinyl that also had some glow in the light, did the grips to match and added red mirror Plexiglas to the bottom... and then took some nice pictures of it cuz I was quite happy with the outcome.
HighEnd_BananaSeat.png

Red_Bottom_Banana_Seat.jpg

I can't recall but I believe I picked up a Continental which was welcomingly higher at the seatpost making for a better fit but also allowing that sisslybar a bit more of that angle I was looking for. I also painted the sidewalls. This was a life changing project. I'm stuck on this skinny muscle for life... though I do dream of adding a rear suspension and going fat on the back.
IMG_5816.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back