AMF Royal Master

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
On my way to work this evening I drove past this old bike propped up against a mail box with a For Sale sign on it. THAT grabbed my attention so I did a 180 and went to look at it. I knocked on the door and made my offer and they sold it to me.
This is what I know about it or what I think I know about it... Early 60's, 26" boys bike. The brake arm is stamped "PERRY B-100, ENGLAND", hub is stamped 36-13. The spokes are tapered. Seat by Troxel. I have read on the forum someone mention that Rollfast made these... I don't agree with that statement considering the painted on AMF Cycle Division, Little Rock, Arkansas USA on the seat tube.
The chrome on this is in very good condition as the bike was stored in a shed. Serial number on left drop out is 291802. The front tire is an original IRC made in Japan. Rear tire and both tubes have been replaced. The light assembly is the only component that is toasted. It is rusted bad since the batteries were left in. These parts were in a baggie. The plastic lens is missing.:(
If anyone has anymore info on this bike please, let me know. I am very curious about that hub.:39:
DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0544.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

DSCN0548.jpg

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0545.jpg

DSCN0547.jpg

Holy Cow! Great bike in great condition. Star sprocket and everything in clean condition. It's AMF Roadmaster for sure, Rollfast had nothing to do with this bike, although Rollfast made good bikes too. It also has the seat post that tightens like a handlebar stem, and the paint and graphics are in good condition too. The peaked chrome fenders look great too. It's the descendant of the famous CWC bikes made in Cleveland. For an early 60's bike, it's in great condition. Somehow, the brake arm was put on the hub backward, the name should read from the outside and it should hang below the frame. A lot can happen to a bike in 55 or 60 years, they probably rebuilt the hub and did that, no harm though it works the same way. Looks like original pedals which means not many miles at all on this bike.

Well I'm picking 1962 as the year. I base that only because I have seen a print add for an AMF-Jet Pilot that had the same star pattern chain ring. Also, after 1962 AMF Cycle Division moved to Illinois "In 1962, the company moved its operations to Olney, Illinois, where it built a new factory on a 122-acre site that would remain the company’s principal bicycle manufacturing location into the 1990s.
This I found here:
https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1949-roadmaster-cycle-american/
www.oldbike.eu also has a lot of cool bike history archived.

It could be a 62 model. Maybe late 50's also. Before the star chain ring, it was a spiral design. There aren't any serial number charts to determine the year on these bikes.

I may stop by and talk to the person I bought the bike from. I was on my way to work and in a rush so I didn't think to ask questions.

Congrats on your find! It's definitely in the AMF Jet Pilot family style. Could be a predecessor to the Jet Pilot or just another model similar to them and sold at the same time. It's a awesome bike for sure. I have a Jet Pilot and love it even though mine is missing the jet shaped seat and the tank.

I may stop by and talk to the person I bought the bike from. I was on my way to work and in a rush so I didn't think to ask questions.
I dropped by the previous owners place today and he said he bought the bike from the original owner who only recalled that he got it for Christmas in the early 60's... so as far as that goes I'll just tag it a '62.;)

Latest posts

Back