Anchors Aweigh AKA Fighting Checkmates - Riding toward the finish line!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First challenge, a welded on fork retainer nut to the stem ... And a surprise helper, Airman Georden Cordle, home for a few days before heading out to sea!
IMG20230515105350.jpg
IMG20230515105313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you remove the welded on stem?
We used a grinder and a dremel with a cutter bit and went around the perimeter of the nut. It ruined the stem but we were eventually able to remove the nut from the steerer tube.
The front springer nuts are proving to be a challenge. Also, the frame is quite rusty on the chain stays and it gives me some structural integrity concerns. I’m going to hit it with a wire wheel and see what I have.

That frame looks to be a 50's Murray, so it should have enough thickness to easily repair any area that looks suspect.

This is a 55 Murray:
View attachment 232647
Thanks for the photo. It's badged "Fleet Wing". Hoping to get the layers of paint off soon to reveal the full serial#

Any good tips for removing the headbadge and being able to reuse it, and reattach it again?
IMG20230516092250.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo. It's badged "Fleet Wing". Hoping to get the layers of paint off soon to reveal the full serial#

Any good tips for removing the headbadge and being able to reuse it, and reattach it again?View attachment 232682
It's tricky, but you may be able to knock the fasteners out from the inside of the headtube. Soak them with PB Blaster repeatedly for a few days first. Prying it off from the front will most certainly destroy it.

Love the skirt guards. Looks like a great fit from here!

Any good tips for removing the headbadge and being able to reuse it, and reattach it again?View attachment 232682
You would have to very carefully drill out the rivets because the metal is thin and easily damaged. Then rivet it back on unless you tapped out a the holes for screws.
If you could leave it on there and work around it, I would do that to be sure it doesn't get damaged.

Everything bolted up, fit and cleared the chainring and crank arms! Next test is fitting the rear wheel for clearance.
IMG20230521140344.jpg

I also was able to get all the disassembled fork parts rust free and wire wheeled.
IMG20230521140326.jpg

Lastly, I'm in need of a source for a couple parts ...
I'm going to need a fork retainer nut since I had to cut mine off,
and also a lens for this taillight if they make them. If not I'll come up with a solution.
IMG20230521140424.jpg

Everything bolted up, fit and cleared the chainring and crank arms! Next test is fitting the rear wheel for clearance.
View attachment 233347
I also was able to get all the disassembled fork parts rust free and wire wheeled.
View attachment 233377
Lastly, I'm in need of a source for a couple parts ...
I'm going to need a fork retainer nut since I had to cut mine off,
and also a lens for this taillight if they make them. If not I'll come up with a solution.
View attachment 233378
Maybe a trailer side marker lense?

Latest posts

Back