Anchors Aweigh AKA Fighting Checkmates - Riding toward the finish line!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's usually some Columbia rear refectors on ePay. I think they are reproductions. Not sure if they're the same size but maybe this picture will help.
s-l500.jpg

I feel the same on old vintage stuff,if it is rare that is. The rest gets chopped.
But Like RM says, wait until you have it all together, and take a second look. Most fenders would have a hole for attachment of a rear reflector or light.

If this fender is rare, then eventually you are going to remove it.

It may be that adhesive or some kind of clip may work better for you.

It's tricky, but you may be able to knock the fasteners out from the inside of the headtube. Soak them with PB Blaster repeatedly for a few days first. Prying it off from the front will most certainly destroy it.

Love the skirt guards. Looks like a great fit from here!
I’ve removed badge rivets by using a 90 degree bent awl pressing the tip against the bit of rivet that extends into the headtube and pushing the rivet out enough to grab the head with some locking needle nose pliers, then twist counter clockwise while pulling.
It can be a bit ‘tedious’ but it preserves the badge

I had a mixed day of success and failure today. Credit to Yoothgeye for the archived tip on the Hillman steel spacer. That solved my seatpost dilemma.
IMG20230528105853.jpg
IMG20230528113248.jpg
IMG20230528113337.jpg
Next I solved my bent seatpost binder bolt with an obvious solution from Mazdaflyer and made yet another trip to Lowe's.

Next up were my hit and misses. Per the recommendation of Dizzle Problems, Rusty Sprockets and Idiot Boy I bought the BMX Axle and installed it successfully with a fresh regrease of bearings. Things were going splendid.
IMG20230528130734.jpg
IMG20230528160607.jpg

Axle fit the forks and it looked like things were all golden. Then I went to install the front fender... The BMX Axle is shorter than the original axle to the bike and also the modern wheel. With the combo of the fork, torsion bars and fork braces there's not enough axle for the axle nuts. I've been going all day so it's time to get cleaned up and think about next steps
IMG20230528212944.jpg

IMG20230528212957.jpg

Next up were my hit and misses. Per the recommendation of Dizzle Problems, Rusty Sprockets and Idiot Boy I bought the BMX Axle and installed it successfully with a fresh regrease of bearings. Things were going splendid.
View attachment 234406
View attachment 234407
Axle fit the forks and it looked like things were all golden. Then I went to install the front fender... The BMX Axle is shorter than the original axle to the bike and also the modern wheel. With the combo of the fork, torsion bars and fork braces there's not enough axle for the axle nuts. I've been going all day so it's time to get cleaned up and think about next stepsView attachment 234410
View attachment 234413
The only thing I could see trying is finding a longer front axle.

I try to keep all my old axles out of the wheels, stripped down and together, ready for these times. It meant that I easily found a long axle for my current build.

Post number 8 is a great how-to by The Renaissance Man on filing down axles:

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/tips-n-trix.114104/
Thanks. I appreciate the list you've compiled. I had read that one previously but just didn't feel confident as I don't think I have any spares if I fail. Cheap enough to pick up though, so definitely worth trying.

If you're game to try, I have some suggestions that just might comfort your concerns. Let me know...I've got my thinking cap on.
For sure! Hit me up 🤞

Latest posts

Back