Annual Tour De Donut race in Utah, July 16 VIDEO!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This race is a blast! I have only done it once. I just registered last night for this year. It will be happening July 16 in American Fork, Utah. It is a 21 mile race consisting of three 7 mile laps with maybe a 5 foot elevation change. at the end of the first and second laps, you eat as many doughnuts as you can for a 3 min. time credit ea. Yes, you can end up with a negative time if you can eat enough doughnuts. The year I did the race there were 250 people or so, a wide age range, fitness range, and bike range. I was the only one with a RatRod bike. This year they are expecting 600 riders. It would be a blast to see a few others if you can make it. Here is a link to the site. The right side of the bike would have been a better pic, but I made the website! Top right corner. That's me with the socks and sandals, steel army helmet and cut-off jeans. Hope to see you there.

http://utahtourdedonut.org/

Re: Annual Tour De Donut race in Utah, July 16

oh my gosh I would so do that. good luck this year.

It is this Saturday.

I have somewhat of a dilema. I had been planning to ride my lowrider/cruiser for the past few months. Yesterday I picked up a 1960 schwinn continental roadbike in amazing shape. The fork darts were hand painted as well as a couple of stripes on the the top tube. I don't have time to post pictures right now, but it's pretty cool in an old school way. The front derailleur is like a whammy bar bolted to the seat tube. No cables what so ever. The rear derailleur is really unusual as well. It uses a 3 speed style chain to pull the idler gears side to side. It has a leather ideale saddle.

I read that the first year for this model was 1958. It was so unpopular that they were discontinued in 1959 and reintroduced in 1960.

There is something funny about taking a lowrider to a road race, but I am really considering taking this unique road bike.

Any votes for one or the other?

I just did a few timed laps around the neighborhood. I was within 3 second each lap alternating bikes. It turns out that my lowrider is just as fast as my road bike; even being 12 pounds heavier. This is probably a lot to do with the fact that I have built up different muscles riding the lowrider so much. I will take it to the race. It corners better and I am simply used to it all around. I will begin next week alternating bikes on my rides to work.

Here we go....

Sorry, no pics, but I was able to get some video. I sped it up so you could see more of the race in a shorter time. It really got fun about a half mile later when I took it up a notch to almost 26 mph. This entire clip was about 20-22. My camera ran out of memory about half way through the first lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXc_nYDIlk

I am not sure how I placed yet. I didn't win, but I knew I wouldn't. They should post the adjusted times up in a few days. What I am really interested in are the unadjusted times. I hope they are posted as well. I did stop to eat one doughnut and including that stop I finished the 21 miles in just over an hour at 1:03: The fastest unadjusted times were around 55 min. Those guys had about $2000 of wheels not to mention the rest of the bike. That is what makes it so fun for me anyway. I am slower than the serious guys, but fast enough to make everyone else think they just wasted a lot of money at the bike shop on carbon fiber and spandex.... :D

Results are up. It looks like I got 16th or so on time alone with several others being only a second or two faster. And I got 35th of 106 in my age group.

That is freeking hilarious. I only saw one rider pass you at the end. Drafting on that roadie had me in stiches with your fat tire almost bump drafting that skinny 700. I would have loved to follow you to see all the expressions of those you passed on your cruiser. Awesome video and thanks for sharing.

Thanks. It was a lot of fun. I have got to give those roadies credit though. It takes dedication. I occationally ride with a slower group. I went once with a faster group once, I managed to keep up with them for 7-8 miles at 22-24mph, but then they picked it up to 32mph. :shock: I could only do that for 1/4 mile or so. Yes, I was riding a lowrider, but they have still got to be in great shape to keep that up even on a nice bike.

Latest posts

Back