Another dopey California law..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several years ago, my VW had a check engine light. Autozone had a service where they had a computer they could connect to your diagnostic port to determine the error code triggering the engine light. Once the code was known, you could determine if the fix was a DIY project or something more complicated. I saved some time and $$$ on occasion by just swapping a sensor on my own.

After several trouble free years of driving, my VW recently had the check engine light come on. I went to my nearest Autozone where I was informed they no longer offer the service *only in the state of California* due to a California state law that was passed a couple of years ago. Apparently the Car Dealers Association PAc campaigned for this law under the guise of 'protecting consumers', but in reality, just didn't want the competition.

GRRRRRRRR. :cry: :( :x

California is so screwed up, why would ANYONE want to live there? You can always buy a diagnostic tool on the black market or the next state over :lol: .

My dad used to work at GE as an engineer at the old Lousiville, KY Appliance Park and he remembers when the fat cat CEO's left the door open. He heard how they had bought every politician and were ready to finish outsourcing overseas. This was back when Clinton first got elected President. The plant is now in shambles, as is every GE plant in America; all are drug houses now. It got to be unpleasant to work there, so he quit before they laid him off. Last year, they paid little or no income tax and continue to kick the American consumer in the bolts. DO NOT BUY GE APPLIANCES OR ANY GE PRODUCT. Corrupt as they come!

Of course, companies buying politicians is nothing new. Remember the GM EV-1? The first PRACTICAL electric car? The cars were leased, not sold and they never were despite large cash offers. GM chose to let the leases expire and all but a handful were crushed, with not a bolt to spare. The few remaining cars were registered as non-street legal and were deactivated, with all the controls torn out. It didn't matter if they went to museums or colleges. Guess who owns the rights to the battery packs? TEXACO!

jalopyjimmy13 said:
wow on both of these :roll:

Don't believe me, eh?

Here is one of handful at universities. There was a video of the thousands of EV-1's crushed a few years ago, but it was pulled. WONDER WHY?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewg8yawjn-M

A couple pics exist, as seen in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXu9mw-Nn-M

GOVERNMENT MOTORS!

Oh goody, now I get to pick on GE.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-pau ... 12132.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W_NsGbu-rg

GM picks on itself with every vehicle they make.
Chevrolet: Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques
Chevrolet: Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Engine Ticks

TheFlyingDingo said:
I never want to live in california. It's too hot, and the emissions standards are too high.
Yeah that's one thing I love about Indiana, No emissions testing!

TheFlyingDingo said:
I never want to live in california. It's too hot, and the emissions standards are too high.
I dont think I'll ever live outside of California! It's beautiful here (other than that couple weeks in the summer where it's just too dang hot), but more importantly, it's fast paced, and people tend to have that great live-and-let-live attitude. When I travel elsewhere, people seem to move and talk frustratingly slow!

deven_science said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
I dont think I'll ever live outside of California! It's beautiful here (other than that couple weeks in the summer where it's just too dang hot), but more importantly, it's fast paced, and people tend to have that great live-and-let-live attitude. When I travel elsewhere, people seem to move and talk frustratingly slow!
We do.

Michigan is #1 fattest state...at least it was a few years ago :roll: :lol:

When I lived in Cali (Huntington Beach to be exact) I quite enjoyed it. Drove a '73 Caddy Coupe De Ville which was exempt from the smog test, so no issues there. Spray cans (I am an avid car modeller) I brought back when visiting friends in Arizona (entirely different air there, separated from Californian air by a white line across the road). So I guess it's only fair to impose those emissions laws to make up for the pollution I wreaked there during my stay.

There were only a few things I found annoying, one being this fast pacededness. Man, why can't they just sit down sometimes and enjoy a quiet beer, for crying out loud. Everybody is in panic mode, but nobody can tell you why. Gosh, relax, will you now.
The other thing is that they take the beautiful weather for granted. Whereas here in Europe everything is moved outdoors if the sun is out for more than ten minutes, California is the great indoors. The pubs, despite being right at the beach, with a view on a sunset that must be seen to be believed, don't even have windows. Very few of them even have an outside seating area.
And one more thing that struck me as odd - the drive-by ATM machines in the middle of those parking lots the size of Holland - they all are in Braille.

Apart from that I found it truly enjoyable and I wouldn't hesitate a second if I got another offer to work there.

Latest posts

Back