another new departure question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
took the hub all apart, cleaned out the old black nasty grease, cleaned greased and adjusted the bearings, cleaned scuffed and oiled the discs. took the bike for a test ride yesterday, the wheel spins nicely, the brake stops the bike well, but it squeals like nothing I ever heard before! is there something specific I should look for when I take it back apart? something common that causes this? any help is appreciated, thanks

Hmm; I can't think of anything that would do that. If it has an oil port, try filling it up a bit. It may just be a little dry. And I'm sure you were careful not to get grease all over the discs? Cheers.

Bill in Houston said:
i'm new around here. are you talking about normal modern-ish disk brakes? i can help with those.

It's actually an old coaster brake rear hub circa 30s-50s. The braking mechanism involves a series of discs which cram up against the inside of the shell to slow/stop the bike.

Jpromo said:
Bill in Houston said:
i'm new around here. are you talking about normal modern-ish disk brakes? i can help with those.

It's actually an old coaster brake rear hub circa 30s-50s. The braking mechanism involves a series of discs which cram up against the inside of the shell to slow/stop the bike.
Ah. I know nothing about those. :D Thanks for the explanation.

deorman said:
....I've heard you can get NOS plate sets, but I have no idea where.

New disc packs come up on ebay regularly. I would check with Memory Lane in OH, as they carry a lot of this.

Latest posts

Back