Another "Roth" Build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This year for build off 6 I will be building a "Ed Roth" inspired Bike again but this will be the #2 version.This time I want to take it one step further from last year. I plan to use metal flake paint, fiber glass, and all the other great things Roth sculpted into his cars. I want to know about fiber glassing bike parts. Not just finders, I want to see the other thing that people have done. Post steps on how to do it, or what you have seen done with fiber glass. Also I want to know about metal flake paint and pictures of bikes with metal flake on them.
rothbb1.jpg

Thanks,
Tyler

P.S. while we are on the topic of difrent ways of building bikes im tired of the plain black font color...so let go blue 8)

Oh and I'm going to go ahead and call fiber glass parts being the HOT new thing for Rat Bikes...and cars that is :wink:

Well MAYBE there will be two Roth type builds!......The last few bikes I've done are what MY interpretation of what "Rat Fink' would ride.....I'm thinking 36 inch apes next. :lol:

KOTA said:
Well MAYBE there will be two Roth type builds!......The last few bikes I've done are what MY interpretation of what "Rat Fink' would ride.....I'm thinking 36 inch apes next. :lol:
Well what Roth did that still beats around in my head all the time was he took fiber glass, a new substance at the time and used it to make things even more custom. All I'm trying to do is take the same mind set and use it to build a bike.

Back in the (ahem) seventies, I used to work in an autobody shop that specialized in re-building Corvettes.....LOT-SO-DUST! :lol:

I'm gonna enter the build off(hopefully) and was planning on doing a bike like your "Bandit" :wink: It will look totally differnet though, just that style :) I will make a sketch soon :)

Double Nickle said:
KOTA said:
Well what Roth did that still beats around in my head all the time was he took fiber glass, a new substance at the time and used it to make things even more custom. All I'm trying to do is take the same mind set and use it to build a bike.
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS BUILD DOUBLE NICKLE. YOU KNOW I'M A FAN OF YOUR WORK.YOU NEED TO PLAN ANOTHER TRIP TO CYCLEFEST MAYBE WE WILL SEE YOU THERE IN 2012.

tyler, heres how the beatnik bandit looked last may, when i took these pics! :D good luck with the fiberglass. i start itching just thinking about it! :lol:
DSCN2400.jpg
DSCN2401.jpg
DSCN2405.jpg

Did that car start life as a Corvette? The headlights look that way to me. It would be cool to copy that look with a dual headligt setup with a shroud that integrates with the head tube and handlebars, kinda 'an Elgin on crack' look... :roll: Maybe some pics of unusual art deco bikes would help??

Cheers!
Dr. T

I read that Big Daddy worked or "sculpted" in plaster. He then applied the fiberglass over it and then chipped out the plaster when dry.
I can't wait to see this build.
Ed Roth Forever!
Spokes

Thanks guys, Here is the parts I'm buying off of "Road Master" this week. This will the the start of my CREATURE in the build off. :wink:
Frame
005-2.jpg

006.jpg

Higgins Skirts
007-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

Rear Carrier
009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

011.jpg

Guard
014.jpg

danger will robinson, danger!

your crossing over to the world of hot rodding.
no self respecting rat rodder would use that fibergunk.
theres no place for fibergunk in the world of cold hard steel.
:lol:

icyuod2 said:

Honestly your right, but just look back and think. There would be nothing but square, ordinary, original cars if it wasn't for Ed Roth and his Fiber fingers changing it up a bit :wink:

I think those of use who know Galtbacken's work might consider them fighten words.

:lol:[/quote]

g-ratter said:
I think those of use who know Galtbacken's work might consider them fighten words.

[/quote]
+1 Hahahahahaha :lol:

I love icyuod2's work also, and I do see where he is coming from, but there is a fine line between hot rod and rat rod...Just depends on your style, and your definition of rat rod that is!

icyuod2 said:

close.....thats street rodding.
not hot rodding :wink:
its not really hard to do.....just hope youre not allergic to it(youll find out real quick if you are once you start sanding it.....and no i dont mean being itchy :!: )
are you thinking of using kitty hair,tiger hair,or mat and gel coat?

Latest posts

Back