Any History Threads? Or Links...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Searched for a while, didn't see what I was looking for. I'm guessing early on (30's - 40's) some manufacturers made bikes for multiple buyers/stores. I see Hawthornes, Colsons, Eagles and others that look the same. Anyone with some knowledge want to share? I know Harmony made guitars for many different manufacturers in the same time period.... makes sense to me for bike builders to do the same...

Re: Any Hisory Threads? Or Links...

All that information is known. It would take forever typing to sort it all out in one post. Stick around the forum and you'll glean the info you want. Gary

Thanks Dave... I've been reading everything I can here and I've seen a lot on Schwinn, and a lot on modern ( post 50's) stuff but not much on the relationship between Hawthorne, Snyder and CWC and others who built bikes for many different manufacturers in the 30's and 40's. Known is one thing but shared is another. Will check the links.

Wish I'd have caught that typo ^ should read History.... :oops:

Yours are good questions! There are many that possess great knowledge on these subjects. I'm not one of them! I can safely say without fear of misspeaking, Cleveland Welding, HP Snyder, Colson, Shelby, Huffman, Columbia/Westfield were among some of the many manufacturers of bicycles. Hawthorne, was a brand name sold by Montgomery Ward. There is much, much, much more to this story, and it really would be nice if others add some of their knowledge in limited doses to help make it easier for all of us to swallow. But, I would like to add that knowing a bikes serial number is a key piece of evidence when trying to identify any bike.

601508_655367581148296_64806233_n.jpg

I think its a Hawthorne...maybe a Roadmaster... rear load dropouts, badge is gone, been repainted...
serial on bottom of the BB is A19829 but I have no idea what year or builder...

Yours is a Cleveland Welding serial number, and the way that I interpret the "A" is that this bike is from 1936.

Thanks Dave, I thought it was CWC by the things I've been reading... 1936 wow.

Got another question, I have a Huffy Daisy Tandem with no badge either, where is the serial on these bikes? I can't find it anywhere!

Again, I'm no expert!!! This is a semi-educated stab at dating this bike. As far as the Huffy tandem goes, sorry that I can't be of any help.

Back