Any interest in a year by year build off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So gauging interest in a year long build off competition. Start on New years day and run the whole year through new years eve at midnight. Best bike of the year and a complete year to build. No rush no hurry just building the best bikes of the year. This would run alongside the other build offs and would give unfinished bikes a catagory to compete in even if not finished by the deadlines. Just must be build that year.

Who would be interested in something like this???

I would propose a single catagory for this.

Best of 2023

This would be a great way to look over the year and reminisce and see some builds that require time and dedication and some expensive and hard to find parts incorporated into the bikes.

Last edited:
I like it. I haven’t been around long enough to know what works and what doesn’t. This might be too hard to organize but what if it was a year long random build off. Kind of like a white elephant gift exchange. If you want enter you have to contribute one part of your choice. Somehow we draw random numbers and you have to build a bike around the part you get. You might get a skip tooth chain ring, or whacky stem, an odd size tire, a French bottom bracket. Who knows what you get. But you have to build a bike around it.

Maybe too hard to organize, but sounds fun. Especially if you have a full year. The whackier the part the better.

Whatever the build offs are next year… count me in for a few.

I like that idea but a few problems with that... many here don't have the funds to build around a specific part such as a skiptooth chainring. A good skiptooth chain alone can be $100, and many don't know how to lace wheels so they'd need a set of already built skiptooth wheels in good shape which can be several hundred and hard to find, then there's a frame that would look halfway correct with a skiptooth drivetrain. Maybe pick a random theme? Such as an air force inspired bike, or a Harley Davidson inspired bike, or a NASA inspired bike.

I'd say probably do it kinda like a greatest hits of that year. Anything goes as long as it was built that year or even just completed that year. Kinda a recap of what happened over the year and show the evolution of the site year by year.

Maybe make a trophy out of old bike parts to be mailed to the winner to be signed and displayed for that year then passed down to the next winner?

Ok so let's lay out the plan and make this happen.

First ever
Best of 2023 build off
Starts on January 1st 2023 at 12:01am and runs through December 1st 2023 at 12:01am

Voting will take place December 1st -December 31st

Anything goes so long as bike is ridable and pedal powered (electric assist allowed)

All bikes submitted must have:
1. a link to build thread with progress photos
2. one photo of drive side of bicycle
3. one detail photo of builder's choice

Have fun with it.

Last edited:
Just trying to help you think this through and make sure you are taking all the moving pieces into account...

1. Are you going to allow bikes in that area from the other build competitions throughout the year? (Could the same bike win multiple things?)

2. Are you just going to post polls for each category at the end of the year? 1 month for voting is A LONG time. For example the build offs next year will all be 3 months in length and the voting period for those is just 1 week

3. This would be independent from any of the "official" RRB build offs as we transition towards our 3 annual competitions starting next year. I wouldn't count on having any special subforums or anything created just for it. We struggle enough keeping things in all the correct categories now and having 6 annual categories for the official build offs create plenty of extra moving pieces

Just trying to help you think this through and make sure you are taking all the moving pieces into account...

1. Are you going to allow bikes in that area from the other build competitions throughout the year? (Could the same bike win multiple things?)

2. Are you just going to post polls for each category at the end of the year? 1 month for voting is A LONG time. For example the build offs next year will all be 3 months in length and the voting period for those is just 1 week

3. This would be independent from any of the "official" RRB build offs as we transition towards our 3 annual competitions starting next year. I wouldn't count on having any special subforums or anything created just for it. We struggle enough keeping things in all the correct categories now and having 6 annual categories for the official build offs create plenty of extra moving pieces
1. Yes
2. Yes the 1 month would give time to look through all the submissions and get everything ready for the voting. Just wanted to give plenty of time because a year is a long time to build and there may be a lot of bikes entered.
3. Good point so maybe just do just a single catagory a best of 2023 for now and see how it goes.

1. Yes
2. Yes the 1 month would give time to look through all the submissions and get everything ready for the voting. Just wanted to give plenty of time because a year is a long time to build and there may be a lot of bikes entered.
3. Good point so maybe just do just a single catagory a best of 2023 for now and see how it goes.
It's up to you. If you're putting it out there and willing to do the work, awesome 👍

We love engagement

I like that idea but a few problems with that... many here don't have the funds to build around a specific part such as a skiptooth chainring. A good skiptooth chain alone can be $100, and many don't know how to lace wheels so they'd need a set of already built skiptooth wheels in good shape which can be several hundred and hard to find, then there's a frame that would look halfway correct with a skiptooth drivetrain. Maybe pick a random theme? Such as an air force inspired bike, or a Harley Davidson inspired bike, or a NASA inspired bike.

I'd say probably do it kinda like a greatest hits of that year. Anything goes as long as it was built that year or even just completed that year. Kinda a recap of what happened over the year and show the evolution of the site year by year.

Maybe make a trophy out of old bike parts to be mailed to the winner to be signed and displayed for that year then passed down to the next winner?
Anything goes as long as it was built that year or even just completed that year. :thumbsup: sounds like fun I would be down.

Just wanted to give plenty of time because a year is a long time to build and there may be a lot of bikes entered.

Full year........you might have one heck of a lot of entries 😬

My white elephant idea came after a few cocktails. Wasn’t even thinking about the finances! Agree. Not a great idea after further thought.
it can be done, but you got to set borders. IE no skip tooth parts. say send some one a seat. just because you sent a Banana seat. do's not pigeon hold them to build a muscle/ chopper bike around it. they still could cut down the pan rework it to fit some hole other type bike build.

it gets interesting when say some member sends a person a go cart or tractor seat or may be a office chair. IE try's to stump a builder by sending a not so typical bike seat / bike part. yet the odd part fits in the fenced in border of the build off guide lines. so it's still kinda any thing go's IE a wild card/ mystery what may show up.

IE if the build category is send some one some type of steering devices. could be a funky old handlebar, car steering wheel, or part of a exercise equipment. either way now the builder has to use it some were some how in the build.

Lol Ingola sent me a frame, fork, crank wheels, tires, a seat and a post, some trusses, bearings, linseed oil...

And I'm still struggling to turn it into a bike
No grease?

adobestock-42905400.jpg

The only problem I see (if it even is a problem...) is the year long build off becoming a cast away for the unfinished and incomplete. That kind of takes away from the BEST of the year vibe. If I'm taking a year to build it, I'm not inclined to accept a last minute attempt that ran out of time build as a peer.

Latest posts

Back