Any model car builders/painters?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got back into model car building. Has anyone else used Model Masters lacquer paints? I just sprayed this body and hood, fearing that the paint would melt the plastic, but it came out really nice. Lacquer is so much nicer, fast drying, easier to spray in tough spots/corners. The only downside is you have to do all of your lacquer painting before you do any enamel. Anyone else prefer this stuff?
IMG_2014.jpg

ya know I like the laquer paint. I have actually used it on a bike of mine.
HPIM2270.jpg
Flowed real nice. Now you know my secret. I have dome models with them too. You have to make sure the temp is on the warmer side or it can come out a little cloudy. recommend like 60 or warmer

Yeah, all of you guys spraying bike parts with enamel bomb cans need to try lacquer. It is soo much nicer to use.

Here's another one I'm working on, lime green with ton's o flake, grooooovy.
IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Thats what i use on all my modle cars it looks like you can reach into the paint. Never tried it on a bike, now you got me thinkin
So you gonna hook some fire up to come out the back of your green car?

I have two unfinished models in my basement. A Japanese Import of a 90s 3 Series BMW with lights and a lighted dashboard, and an AMT 64 Impala with an add-on kit made in California that turns it into a lowrider hopper. I'll probably never finish them.

I built a few model rockets in recent years. That was fun in that I never did it as a child. Skip if you're reading this thread we gotta go launching this spring.

maddogrider said:
Thats what i use on all my modle cars it looks like you can reach into the paint. Never tried it on a bike, now you got me thinkin
So you gonna hook some fire up to come out the back of your green car?
186709259_885f4c35e1.jpg
:D

I was heavy into building model cars before getting into the old car and bike hobby. I travelled up and down the West Coast to different model car shows. Even had a few of my models featured in model car magazines in the show coverage section and put on a huge model car show with a friend of mine that was featured in a model car magazine.

At one time I had over 1,000 kits. Some were old, some were new. Had many duplicates and triplicates with intentions of building several different versions, but you know how that goes... I sold all of them off a few years back to buy a 1937 Chrysler Airflow. I don't regret it. I can always buy my collection back in pieces, but finding another Airflow is harder.

Here are a few that I built in the late 1990s to early 2000.

100_7286.JPG

100_7290.JPG

100_7291.JPG

100_7295.JPG

100_7303.JPG

100_7305.JPG

100_7321.JPG

More pictures of my built models and just a portion of the model collection that I sold: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=2076377

That's a cool little collection there, I like the '58 chev furniture :D So is the Airflow a stocker or street rod? Those things have a face that only a mother could love.

necessaryevil said:
That's a cool little collection there, I like the '58 chev furniture :D So is the Airflow a stocker or street rod? Those things have a face that only a mother could love.

She's all stock and original.

37%20airflow%20027.jpg

37%20airflow%20030.jpg

Wow, that's something you don't see anymore. They're can't be more than a handful of original airflows around. You should see if any resin companies make an airflow body, build an exact model of your car. :D

There are actually a few more than a handful. :D Airflows were made starting in 1934 and ending in 1937. As the production years went on, the vehicles got larger in size. There were also 2 door coupes avaiable in the early production years and are even more desireable today. There's an Airflow Club of America, which I belong to. They have members from all around the world. Seems like Australia is the second largest country that has Airflows. The Airflows are still out there, but in very small limited numbers. I've been to many car shows locally and have only seen another one like mine, except that it was resto-modded.

I searched all of the resin casters and no one is making a model of it.

That's pretty cool. My father has a '40 Nash lafayette coupe that he bought when he was a teenager, there are only four known to exist now. Rare, but who cares, they are UGLY.

necessaryevil said:
I recently got back into model car building. Has anyone else used Model Masters lacquer paints? I just sprayed this body and hood, fearing that the paint would melt the plastic, but it came out really nice. Lacquer is so much nicer, fast drying, easier to spray in tough spots/corners. The only downside is you have to do all of your lacquer painting before you do any enamel. Anyone else prefer this stuff?
IMG_2014.jpg

Nice looking models! Looks like you did a bunch of customizing to the lime green Merc! That top chop was a big job i'm sure.

I've used Testors paints on my models. What I used is Model Masters, Colors by Boyd, and the regularTestors paint, but everything has been enamel. I sprayed it with an airbrush, but believe it or not, I thinned the enamel paint with lacquer thinner ( actually, a fast wash thinner by Grow Automotive #1545 ). I learned this trick from a very talented friend who does pinstriping and painting on models and real cars. No problem with it etching or crazing the styrene plastic.

DSC00218-1.jpg

This '30 Woody has several type of paint on it; the red is regularTestors paint from a square bottle, the "wood" is Model Masters Acryl (water washup) brushed over white primer and sealed with Model Masters clear enamel. The whitewalls were done with Color Steps vinyl colorant for sneakers.
DSC00220-1.jpg

This is my first time posting with photos, so if it works, I can post some oher photos later.
DSC00271.jpg

'65 Rivi painted with Model Masters and Testors
DSC00272.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

1936 Ford coupe painted with Model Masters and Testors
DSC00232.jpg

If you have an air compressor, you might want to try an air brush. We just bought one for the shop at Harbor Freight Tools. It's a double action that cost around twenty bucks, and I was impressed with the quality. I painted these models with a Paasche "H-model" single-action airbrush . . .

Latest posts

Back