Anyone else have an irrational fear of stray dogs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to ride my bike in the country, and it for some reason attracts dogs. After being chased many times, I find myself constantly paralysed in fear of stray dogs... What do you guys do to fend them off?

Bear repellant. We sell it at the bike shop. They will not bother you twice but be aware of wind direction. Change direction and rate of speed on your bike. Dogs can only run fast in a straight line and cannot turn fast at speed. Dog owners will not restrain their dogs yet many get PO'ed when you use the spray.

If they are truly strays and not just loose, it's not irrational. If they're wearing tags, and they're not bulldogs or Dobermans, stop and act like the boss. If they are bulldogs, they can actually hurt you but they aren't great runners. Just keep moving and they'll run out of steam. Bear spray should probably do the job, if they persist.

I never had that problem dogs usually just bark a little it's the people in cars an trucks they paralyze me with fear they seem to have no respect for bicyclist

No, but it is not irrational. Stray dogs are dangerous. They are generally not afraid of you and can (but not ususally) attack w/o warning. But animals love me. :shock:

Not a fear so much but do get a little anxious when passing a house out in the country. In my experience when I was around dogs daily while working, strays weren't much of a problem. It's generally the dogs that have their own territory to protect.

Last year one got a hold of the wife's shoe.
IMG_0358.JPG

When being chased I am always reminded of American Flyers http://youtu.be/p8uP-dxllKQ

Stray dogs chase you because you seem like a prey item. If there's more than one they have a pack mentality and are taking ques from one dog. Stop running from them. Get off the bike and put it between you and the dogs and walk away. Bear spray would probably work but would probably do more damage to you than the dog. I can't tell you how many times I've had to save police officers from vicious "bulldogs" that have been sprayed with mace it just doesn't work. The reality is if a dog is going to attack you you're going to get bitten no matter what you do. That's speaking from experience.

Chris

I also read once that bicycles emit high pitched sounds that only dogs can hear and when they hear you coming, it drives them nuts and its worse than any dog whistle.

One time when I was a kid, a neighbor's vicious stray dog tried to bite the back tire of my bike when I was going down the sidewalk. Yes that ended quite well for me and not so much for the most likely rabid mutt.

Personally, I think regardless of tags, if your dog is stray/out loose and causing a panic, its as much game for the dog catcher as any stray. I don't hate dogs, I just wish people would be responsible.

I seriously doubt the stray dogs or coyotes are following you! Most likely "farm" dogs that are left out unchained. I think every farmer and rancher I know does it. Mostly they stay on the property, but once in a while they stray.
Try carrying dog biscuits instead of "bear" spray. That is a great way to make enemies not friends.

A real stray will likely keep it's distance. Worry about the ones that have been trained to attack. Out in the country there's no ordnance or dog catchers, a lot of people let their dogs run loose. About half the dogs I encounter just plod along next to me or behind me like "where we goin?," until they get tired. Most of the rest just want to chase me out of their area. If one charges out in front of me I challenge it to a game of chicken, making eye contact, swerving towards it and standing up usually makes it rethink it's decision. The ones who act like they are trying to grab my foot get kicked and yelled at. All dogs with english speaking owners are going to understand the words No and Bad. I think you could say just about anything as long as you say it in an angry manner with some hand gestures. You are a big scary human after all. They'll also understand the word Good. Just in case you find yourself in a situation (more likely when not riding) when a dog is acting wary of you. Asking if it's good or just using the word good in it's direction in an affectionate manner will often change it's attitude.

take a rock off the ground, make sure the dog sees it. throw it close to them, but dont hit them.
this worked for me - you can even pretend to pick up a rock and throw it. but, i dont think it will work for all dogs.

Back scratcher
Hopefully I'll never have to use it. There's been a few close calls. I'd like to get one of those ultrasonic speakers but the back scratch was a fun project.

Try carrying dog biscuits instead of "bear" spray. That is a great way to make enemies not friends.
Good advice. Most dogs are good boys as long as you have a treat in your pocket. If you meet one of the few that aren't, remain calm and assertive and stand your ground. If that doesn't work, get on your bike and haul .....
In my 29+6 years I've had one bad encounter with a dog. And that was probably more owner/breed-related than a dog issue - I was walking my bike to my parking space behind the building I lived in, when a chihuahua-looking creature on a flexi-leash (whose owner lived two floors above me) randomly bit me in the ancle. Luckily it's little rat teeth, and puny jaws didn't have the power to penetrate my jeans.

My old neighborhood was full of random strays, or maybe no one bothered to close the fence. Most dogs where tiny annoying yappers. Then the gangstas down the street had "fighting" dogs. Pitbulls mixed with rotwillers. to be clear my father brought me home from the hospital to his pitbull, Ole Bruiser, and Ive had nothing but pitbulls since and brought my little girl home to a pitbull. They are fantastic dogs, very smart and listen very well. But these ... clowns think they are dog "breeders" and its a sad sight and future for those pups. They are the only dogs I worry about, and this neglected german sheppard next to the elementary school, which is never in its yard. Animal control is always taking those people pitbull/rotwiller mixes and I along with several other people have had to pepper spray that german shepard. But in general if im out by myself i dont worry, but my kid you betcha. I always leave with pepper spray!! Never run from a dog it will chase, but biking away you can out run them. If you have to make a stand, shove your hand and arm down its throat and pin it on its back. They cant bite when you shove something down its throat, and just hold on eventually it should pass out from lack of oxygen, or maybe die?

Latest posts

Back