Anyone ever built a minirod? 1/2 scale RatRod?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey all, I have a 1940's Austin truck cab and extras that was going to be my road legal Ratrod project, I got fed up with the restrictive laws on it a while back so just canned the project. Been thinking lately of turning it into a mini rod, probably slightly larger than 1/2 scale. I have worked out how and where to chop the cab to get it down to size, I have a Nissan 4 cyl and 5 speed I can throw into it along with a matching diff. Obviously going to have to shorten the diff and work out something for the front end, thinking of making my own dropped I beam, but have not thought about steering, hubs and pivots yet...

Here is my truck cab:

10883891293_b3c915ff9d_o.jpg

So it would get narrowed, shortened, chopped and a hole cut in the roof to put your head through to see...

So anyone have any suggestions? Anyone built one before? Is it something people would be interested in seeing on the forum?

Here is a pic I found that is the look I would be heading for, this is a photoshopped photo done by Sebastian Marin:

Mini Rat Rod by Sebastian Marin, on Flickr

Luke.

Just thinking about it some more, maybe I am being a bit ridiculous thinking of using the Nissan motor... It would be capable of 100 mile/h without any worries and really would have to put more work into brakes and safety than I willing for something that is just a toy...

Really something around 10h.p would be great, but buying that sort of thing gets expensive quickly, maybe I should just cut it down even further and make it pedal powered? I think I could make it weigh less than BigJim when done, so should be ridable with no worries, brakes, suspension and steering all get considerably lighter... :?:

Anyone have any thoughts?

Luke.

Personally I'd find an S-10 truck or a Toyota truck and swap the cab over and make a wooden flatbed for the back. Modern drive train for reliability and old cab for looks. Also don't paint it, that patina is awesome.

That was the plan originally Outskirts, but they are making the rules harder and harder over here, and it is just too much stress for me to even want to do it for road use anymore. Much easier rules over there, I would be driving it around already if we had your rules... :roll:

Whatever I do, that cab is not getting painted, it looks awesome and that is the reason I bought it. :wink:

Luke.

Luke, look up the kid v rod on thesamba.com. Way cool 1/4 scale vw beetle.

Diabolical_Dork said:
Luke, look up the kid v rod on thesamba.com. Way cool 1/4 scale vw beetle.
That thing is awesome, been checking it out for the last few days, great workmanship in it, it is probably what inspired me to some extent!

That rail is awesome Barnbikes! It would be so much fun!

Luke.

for motor wise maybe try honda cl350 or v50 magnum. Motor cycle motors and transmissions that are shaft driven.

Latest posts

Back