Anyone Into Google Earth??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently someone told me about Google Earth and i have really enjoyed it. I do have a problem tho. It seems when you are on the ground in a street view scene and you try moving down a street the images streeetch then after a few seconds pop into focus. This is very aggrevating and i was wondering why its doing that.

I think your warp drive needs calibrating :mrgreen:

(sorry couldn't resist)

Gizmo

i remember when the google earth car drove down my street, i'd been remodeling our house but i took a break to mow the yard :| car came creeping by at about 5mph, im guessing they only snapped a picture every few seconds otherwise thats a lot of video to keep stored :shock:

Wow what a dump :mrgreen:

home.jpg

I just wish they covered more country roads. A lot of the places i have been dont have street views and also the pics are sometimes 5 or 6 years ago. The closest street view to my house is about 2 miles away.

When street view first came out I lost about 2 weeks of my life looking at my parents house, my sister's house, my other sister's house, the houses I've lived in, places I've worked, etc... I found my car parked at church and possibly me at the gas pump putting gas in our van, my mom spent a week trying to find her van (wasn't at home, wasn't at work, wasn't at friend's house, etc...) and sending me links asking "Is this me?" "No mom, you drive a green Toyota Sienna, that's a blue Ford Windstar."

The "stretch" thing is normal, it is the program blending the multiple photos together.

I've noticed recently that the aerial views have been updated for many urban and suburban areas (hasn't hit my town yet) I'll just say, the new satellite images are impressive. You can zoom down and find bikes in people's back yard now and almost identify them where as before the closest zoom just looked like blurry pixels.

i too wish the updates were more frequent,would help with my job alot.some of the guys my buddy rides rzr's with used to be surveyors, they have the cool apps that ive heard are updated like every 15 minutes or so. i still havent found out the name of the app they use, doubt its free anyway,but ive been told its "scary" good, meaning somebody is always watching you! :shock:

wheelhorseman said:
I just wish they covered more country roads. A lot of the places i have been dont have street views and also the pics are sometimes 5 or 6 years ago. The closest street view to my house is about 2 miles away.

That pic is about 6 years old, the satellite image gets updated every time it flies by I suppose, completely new roofing and changed roofline was visible shortly after we did that about 5 years ago. It took my In laws house about 3 years to show up but they live way out in the boonies, the scary part is they live on the backside of a 200' bluff that stretches a couple miles, and people have linked scenic pics on flikr from their property. You really don't know who's watching :shock:

I saw one of the ground vehicles at a gas station once, the kid said they hire college grads who want to travel around for drivers, he said it sounded cool when he first got the job but not so much after a week or so :mrgreen:

There are a couple funny college humor videos about 2 characters driving around in the Google car and another they are in a hot air balloon going around, it reminds me of what the driver said, fun at first but after that...

Street view: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/57007 ... -view-guys

Google Earth: (this one isn't as "friendly" as the other, so it's not a link :wink: : /video/5905563/google-earth-guys

GE is starting to be a real pain. After a few mouse clicks of moving around you get a popup saying GE has stopped working. At that point you have to start from scratch all over again.

I once "rode" my old paper route. The streets are still there, but, my how the houses changed over the years! :D

I use it for work quite a bit. I schedule cranes to replace rooftop HVAC equipment, and I can measure dimensions over the phone with the crane companies to get the right size crane.

Latest posts

Back