Are all axles created equally?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is different pitches, I run into this on a Worksman wheels some are 3/8 - 24 and some are 3/8 - 26............Curt
Here awhile back I accidentally, successfully threaded 3/8 26 tpi nuts on a 3/8" 24 tpi axle. I assumed (my big mistake) that something was dirty or scored. consequently I kept on tightening. A few days later someone posted the Park tools common thread chart. I went with the known to identify the unknown and made some trips to Ace and Tractor Supply to build a sizing kit for axles utilizing spare axles and nuts I had and buying nut and bolt samples of what I didn't have. Now I can always identify axle threads, I hope😐

This is the page someone posted here that had the thread chart https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/basic-thread-concepts

Last edited:
I'd come across their how-to for measuring but missed the common thread chart. That would've helped. On the hunt. Thanks
The good news is I didn't permanently ruin my axle. I'm guessing the axles were harder than the nuts.

Not for nothing but you can buy these things for about $3 in metric and stupid, er, imperial sizes. Doesn't help sizing nuts I suppose but for bolts and axles and things...

threadgauge-metric-large.jpg

So does anybody know the "why" of it all? Why would manufacturers switch threads front to back? Seems to go against reason. Why not keep it uniform? It must sure have been important.

And the second "why" which will help me understand the tap size.. why does one nut fit both? is it in-between sized or is the valley deeper or something? I'd imagine I need that size tap to keep it universal.

I read something about taps and dies we left after the war that were non-standard for Asia but they used them in bike manufacturing. It must have been part of our recovery efforts after WW2. I can't remember where I read the article but it was fairly recent when I ran into the same issues as you. That may be part of the "why."

I read something about taps and dies we left after the war that were non-standard for Asia but they used them in bike manufacturing. It must have been part of our recovery efforts after WW2. I can't remember where I read the article but it was fairly recent when I ran into the same issues as you. That may be part of the "why."
I am very intrigued. Do you remember your search terms or other detail I can search for?

I may have mixed up Asia for Europe (hey I'm only half a world off). Here is an post that is similar to the one I originally read. Be sure to read the part about the Marshal Plan. Thread Size History

Latest posts

Back