Auction find Shelby

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My neighbor bought this for me. She paid 3 dollars at an auction in Erie for it. AMF Shelby,girls bike. Its tore apart now, getting all soaked in oxalic acid. Not sure if I wanna do a gender change on it,or fix it up for my wife. She wants a 3 speed, so if I sell the Phat bike, Ill put on those wheels, with the Nexus 3 speed.
DSCI0571.jpg

DSCI0572.jpg

DSCI0573.jpg

serial number is L314579 on the left dropout. It was teal colored, and the grips match.

the crank cleaned up like new. I soaked all the parts in oxalic acid,and it removed the gold paint. Exposed the original decaling. It says Shelby on the chainguard, and explorer on the tank. It was a blue metallic. Sweet! soaking the wheels in the oxalic now, hoping the yellow paint comes off nicely. This IS gonna get restored. Mama likes it....

Here's a lil tickler. Still deciding what to do for wheels,Im soaking the originals, but they are painted,TWICE. Dont look real rusty,though. I may disassemble the Phat chopper for its wheels.
here's the chainguard and tank ,ready for stripping. Gotta get some vinyl masks made for paint time....
DSCI0587.jpg

DSCI0580.jpg

AMF used the Shelby name through 1962, this one is close to that later end, basically all AMF. I think it'd be neat to do a gender change that fits the tank! -Adam

Adam, too late...its painted blue already, and I am working with axsepul to do the lettering. My wife loves it, as I added a Nexus 3 speed to it. Pics will come after Ax gets the vinyl done.

DogDart delivered the front wheel today to me at Bicycle Heaven's swap meet. I also bought a springer fromhim,along with red grips. Here she is, done
I painted and weathered the diamond plate, I like it. Crank makes noise,so I gotta go over that. Might have bad bearings,cause I greased it up well.
DSCI0633.jpg

Latest posts

Back