Audiophile advice..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I enjoy good sounding music and have a random assortment of nice home audio that I have collected over the years. More about that later. Today I picked up a Nikko Alpha 220 Sterio Power Amplifier. From what I have read, this is a late 70's-early 80's piece of great quality electronics (side note: during this time frame I was listening to 45's on a plastic Disney record player). This particular unit has been sealed in what appears to be its original plain cardboard box having been resealed and stored since August of 1994 and has been locked in a storage unit until today. Possibly sold by a clearing house or something? The COD amount is $149.00. So the previous owner either got a great deal as this was originally a $600 amp, or its something he bought used in which case, he still got a great deal. Anyhow, lets say I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it and integrated it into what I have or flip it. Lets say I have no attachment to it just yet... Do I keep it or sell it?

This thing

Description

The Alpha 220 features DC servo high-speed switching circuitry.

Power output is 120 watts per channel RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms, with no more than 0.008% total harmonic distortion.

Advanced circuit technology includes parallel push-pull output, dual vertical peak power display, quick responding protection circuit and a rack mountable design.

Specifications

Power output: 120 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.008% (that's a really small number)

Damping factor: 60

Input sensitivity: 1V

Signal to noise ratio: 105dB

Dimensions: 482 x 138 x 344mm

Weight: 13.5kg

Almost 30 lbs, means big magnets and lots of copper?

From my experience, big weight means good transformers, lots of copper and massively oversized and under-stressed amplifiers...
All of which gives me reason to believe that the listed specs are probably accurate.

Let me just say, if it really can do a true 120W RMS at 8 Ohms with a distortion factor of only .008%, that would be one truly awesome amplifier!

I had an amplifier many years back that weighed in at 22kg with the wooden case removed and only the perforated steel shell in place, it was rated at 120W RMS at 8 Ohms and .005% distortion, I can't remember the manufacturer any more, but that was the sweetest sounding amp I have ever heard...

I would come home from work at my apprenticeship and put on Dire Straits Love Over Gold LP and crank up Telegraph Road, all 14 odd minutes of it...

" A long time ago, came a man on a track, walking 40 miles with a pack on his back..."

The diodes ended up drying out and falling apart, I seriously thought about getting it rebuilt, but I was so broke at the time... :(

Luke.

There's nothing like listening to your favorite song on a top quality sound system and hearing all the little things you couldn't or all the richness.

I guess DJ's like this amp because it will deliver 120 watts all day long. I have a pretty sweet digital sound processor so this would really be an extra. I'm going to power it up tonight and see what happens.

Well, it power's right up and looks beautiful. I put it on the rack with the other sterio stuff. Cant seem to locate which output to use on my DSP-A3090. Will need to research that a bit. My banana plugs wont fit the binding posts on the Nikko so I will probably cut some short ones to hook up for sound.

Gig, I can probably acquire felt stickers.

There's nothing like listening to your favorite song on a top quality sound system and hearing all the little things you couldn't or all the richness.
:thumbsup: You got that right!

Luke.

I think I'm going to let it go. It's a cool piece and since it's been in a box for the last 22 years I bet it will give someone many years of good service. Its also a little too wide for my sterio rack and its a bit redundant next to my digital sound processor.

Latest posts

Back